17. True to His Words

Dadaji never missed any chance to teach me lessons with his actions or sometimes by telling me his experiences.

"Dadaji ! Will you please say that for me. Your words will make a different impression." Once, I demanded Dadaji a favour.

"मन म्हारी बात थोड़ी खोणी है।"
[I don't want to lose my words.]

Dadaji politely refused my urge after listening to me carefully what I wanted. For a moment I was disappointed a little but I knew he was right somehow. But not even a bit I felt bad, in fact later on it impressed me when I gave it a deep thinking. I knew well that Dadaji was a veracious person who always chose his words wisely. That was the only reason for his denial.

•••

Once Dadaji went to a wedding of his acquaintance's son. They all were waiting for the groom to get ready for 'Baraat'.

In traditional Hindu wedding processional order the groom goes on a white mare with all of his friends and family in a celebration called a Baraat where traditionally they arrive in front of the bride's house while everyone dancing around him. This festive Baraat marks the beginning of a Hindu wedding ceremony.
The bride's family waits for the groom and his family to arrive.

Dadaji was telling me about the incident that they were waiting there, but their waits seemed to be longer.. and longer... as the groom wasn't getting ready. After a little while Dadaji and others got to know about the situation. Actually the groom was being stubborn to wear his wedding suit which he specially ordered for that special day whereas his father was scolding him to wear the traditional Indian wedding dress 'sherwani'.

The way the groom's father was behaving with him throughout the whole day was quite humiliating. No one present there appreciated his behaviour, didn't protest either. But now, it was enough already. Among tears the groom got adamant to wear the suit only. Everyone tried for him to be convinced but he was so stubborn to listen to anyone. Dadaji got up from his place and went to their room. At first he admonished his father saying:

"Your son is going to marry today and you are treating him like a jerk. Go and get everyone ready for departure. We'll be there soon."

Dadaji sent him outside and closed the door behind. He coaxed him and asked with so much affection for why he didn't want to wear sherwani.

"I got it prepared for this special occasion. I don't want to wear that." He said wiping his tears.

Dadaji convinced him to wear that sherwani for a few minutes only just for photoshoot until they reach a temple (for a ritual). And promised him to allow to wear that suit afterward. He agreed on his proposal happily and got ready without delaying.

He changed into sherwani and came out of the room with Dadaji smiling. As promised when they reached the temple after some photoshoots Dadaji got him permission from his father to wear his favourite suit.

"What if he hadn't listened to you too, and hadn't agreed to wear that sherwani ?" I asked Dadaji.

"It wouldn't have happened." Dadaji smiled.

"Just for once, suppose that would have happened ?" I asked again.

"I would have left that place immediately for home." Dadaji said in a deep voice.

Dadaji explained to me how a kid should be treated:

"Up to age 5 he must be treated so softly that if he says 'sit' then sit and 'up' then get up.