I

"Hi I'm [Name]... wanna be friends?"

Michael looked up at the girl who stood before him. He stared silently at her, waiting for her to drop the act and go away.

Her smile looked genuine and she sounded genuine too. Michael could never be too careful though... too many times was he fooled by other kids and he wasn't going to let it happen again.

He was used to the other children using him for their own entertainment by now. They would attempt to befriend him before humiliating and insulting him.

Those same kids would approach him every day with a fresh batch of names to call him.

Michael didn't care much. He would just ignore them.

It was much easier than trying to fight back. If he ever were to speak back to them they would go crying to a teacher and get him in trouble.

It seemed even the teachers had something against him as he was the only one ever in trouble.

The girl, [Name] stayed put, shrugging at his lack of response.

[Name] didn't take his silence as a no and simply sat down next to him and starting to eat her lunch. She had seen him sitting alone and always wondered why the other kids would call him a freak.

Sometimes she would feel bad for him as she listened to all the things the other kids would call him.

She wasn't trying to befriend him out of sympathy though. [Name] didn't have many friends of her own, she had a few but she always though that the other children were far to mean to each other.

So she wanted to be friends with Michael to see what he was like. Nobody ever gave him a chance to be himself so she wanted to give that to him.

"Why" Michael spoke slowly

[Name] tilted her head and looked at him again
"Why what?"

"Why do you want to be my friend"

She went silent for a moment...thinking

"You always seem to sit alone, I thought you would like a friend! Plus I don't think you're a freak... why do people call you a freak?"

A smile tugged at the corners of his lips but he suppressed it and sighed, not wanting to get his hopes up in case she was lying.

"Because I am a freak"

"That's not true! You shouldn't listen to them"

[Name] rolled her eyes and then smiled at Michael.

"Well I'm your friend now... you don't have a choice!"

He stayed silent and expressionless but deep down Michael felt happy. He decided to trust that [Name] truly wanted to be friends with him.

She was his friend