Chapter 9: Hannah

Chapter 9: Hannah

Somehow I found myself at the bar inside the Aurora after all.

And somehow my resolution not to drink alcohol that evening had also been thrown overboard.

Less than five minutes after entering the bar....

Blaming Phil was probably the easiest, but not the fairest solution.

But I wasn't about being particularly fair. Especially not in my own mind.

Whose feelings was I supposed to hurt?

Besides, he seemed to be a bit of a tease in bringing me a new cocktail again and again. Meanwhile, it was the fifth Sex on the Beach. His goal was clear. Even if there wasn't a beach here in Duskwood.

One thing about him, as a bartender, he knew his craft. I had rarely drunk such a well-mixed cocktail. Besides, my alcohol-fogged brain found his performance behind the bar more attractive with every sip.

I didn't even know if I really had a choice anymore. Phil had already made his decision. The way he touched me told me that. A loving hand on my shoulder.

Every time he walked past me....

However, it was also my own fault.

Would that I, the stupid bitch, hadn't kissed him back...

I had catapulted myself into this situation.

Now I have to face the music to the end.

My lips touched the drinking straw once more and I took another sip of the sweet drink. Those turned out to be the only moments in which my body felt I was really in a bar right now. Everything else felt so unreal.

The conversations, the laughter of my friends was more background scenery for me than anything else.

So this is what it was like to be in a mesh of people all alone....

I wonder if Jake felt like this every day.

It was definitely not pleasant.

If he felt anything like this...

Then I was probably just a rebound for that feeling....

That's why he had disappeared...

Automatically, my body moved from the stool.

"Are you all right?", I heard Jessy's concerned voice next to me.

"Yeah. I just need to go to the bathroom," I gave as emotionlessly as I felt.

"Again?", I didn't have to look at her to know that she raised an eyebrow sceptically.

Some part of me wanted to shout at her. Tell her for what she expected me to do. I didn't get the strength any more.

And who knew if I would ever get the strength to be happy again.

But I managed to control myself and put on a fake smile.

"Well, once Pandora's box is open...", I joked before continuing on my way.

***

"Is [MC] all right?" asked Phil with concern. As he polished the glasses, he could watch the spectacle from the front row.

Jessy, in turn, just shrugged.

" She doesn't talk to us."

She looked sadly at her half-filled glass.