Chapter 1.

20 May 2018

"Where is she? Where is she!?" My dad yelled down the hall.

"I'm in here, Dad," I yelled for him so he wouldn't destroy the whole hospital trying to find me.

He instantly ran to me holding my face, "Oh god, are you alright? Are you okay? Are you injured?"

"Dad, I'm alright I promise. I just blacked out that's all." I held my hand to his face, wiping his stray tear away.

"Oh, when I got the phone call I was so scared! I felt like it happened all over again."

"Dad, the accident was two years ago. I'm alright. It's just my usual blacking out, you know what it's like with my brain injury. Plus, you shouldn't be here. You're breaking my cover you know." I smiled at the man.

"Right, I forgot you somehow convinced the Navy to let you stay." He shook his head, knowing I get my stubbornness from him.

"You know nothing can stop me from flying." I laughed at him as he almost fell out of his chair, "Enough about me. How is Top Gun? How is Rooster?"

"AJ, about that..." His whole demeanor changed.

"Did something happen?" I felt fear rise in me at the thought of losing my childhood best friend. I haven't talked to him since we graduated, but that doesn't stop me from worrying about him.

"Addie, he doesn't remember you." He looked me in the eyes, I searched them to see if he was lying, but the look he gave was sincere.

"What do you mean he forgot about me?" I asked.

"He forgot that I had a child. He forgot about you. He said I was without family so I didn't have to worry about death." He sighed rubbing his face, "He despises me for pulling his papers to the point he forgot about you."

"I-Dad it wasn't your choice. It was Carole's. Don't blame yourself for this."

"I know but I feel terrible because I don't want him to hate his mother, I also feel terrible for taking your best friend away."

"Stop, It's not your fault." I threw a piece of ice in my cup at him, "You've been beating yourself up since Goose died, and now that Ice died even more so. Dad, just like you in your jet if you think you end up dead. If you overthink and let the past haunt you, your gonna end up dead or worse getting one of your pilots killed. You need to stop thinking and just do."

"Gosh, you remind me of your mother. She was a good woman."

"You know I don't remember much of her. I was 6 when she passed."

"I know, but your intelligence reminds me of hers. I see her in you every day. I wish I could have treated her better."

"Dad, you're doing it again."

"I'm not just here to talk about this, I'm here to tell you about the mission."

"What about it?"

"There is a chance I won't make it back alive, so I want you to give these to Penny, Rooster, and Amelia. Plus, your letter is in there as well."

"Dad, I won't need these."

"I know, but for a precaution. We're going against fifth-generation fighters and doing a mission nearly impossible."

"You'll get the job done. Your Pete Mitchell, you give the Navy hell. What's stopping you from doing the same with our enemies?"

"Right, well what are the doctors saying?" He chuckled.

"They are running a few tests to make sure I'm alright. They also don't expect me to be able to fly for a couple of years. These doctors don't know who they are messing with. I'm a Mitchell, I don't follow the rules."

He laughed checking his watch, "I gotta go, kiddo. Stay safe and keep me updated on your medical status."

"Will do. As I said before, Give em' hell."

A/N: HAPPY NEW YEAR! Hope everyone has a wonderful year full of joy and love. So, happy you decided to read this story! Hope you all enjoy it! Please tell me what you think! I would love to see all of your thoughts and comments!