Chapter 2.

20 May 2024

      I walked down the halls of Top Gun, seeing photos of Ice, Goose, Dad, and Rooster. Photos cause memories of my own time here to come back. I was young then, one of the youngest members of my squadron. It did help that I graduated high school at 16. I got a degree in astrodynamics then joined the academy at 19. I took summer classes to graduate college early. Bradley was at the University of Virginia then, he didn't get to join until 2009, which was four years after me. Yet, we went to Top Gun just a year apart.

     Rooster is one hell of a pilot and should have been allowed in the academy, but knowing the reason why my dad pulled his papers is understandable. Dad had pulled multiple strings to make sure Rooster wasn't allowed in the academy. After months of convincing my dad, he finally just allowed Bradley to join. Now years later, Bradley had forgotten about me; his best friend. God, I missed him. Though he and my dad have gotten close, due to my job I have yet to be able to talk to him. My father and I were sworn to secrecy about my identity, and so were Penny and Amelia.

    I had finally made it to Admiral Bates and Admiral Simpson's room. They had called me in a couple of weeks ago, but my work at the Pentagon has caused me to be behind on the meeting. My boss at Pentagon forced me to come, forcing me to face the past.

    "Captain Mitchell, please come in." Bates welcomed me into the conference room.

    "Cut the formality, Bates. What am I doing here? We both know I can't fly yet."

    "You're here not only on a mission for Top Gun but the Pentagon." Cyclone spoke this time.

    "Ok? How am I supposed to work here if I can't fly?"

    "You will be working on a mission similar to the one that caused your accident in '16."

     "No, the mission didn't cause the accident. The plane did. It was modified for the mission and because of it I can't fly."

     "Well, a uranium plant much like your case is being rebuilt, actually two of them. With the help of you and your father, we are going to be training twelve top gun graduates, but that's not the only reason why we called you here." Cyclone took a sip of his coffee.

    "We need you to spy on these twelve pilots because we have a mole for this plant within our Navy. Within our academy. Once, you discover that the twelve pilots are not a part of this, you will be training the pilots alongside your father. From then, you will choose members to join your father on the mission." Bates spoke.

   "How will I spy on them?"

     "You will be working at Penny's bar and Bobbi's Diner to pay off your student loans, as you will be undercover as a school teacher. You can choose what grade level, but we need you to seem like an opposite of a pilot. Be the opposite of AJ Mitchell." Bates slid the file across the table, giving me time to scan the document, "So, what do you say? Do you want to be called Phantom again?"

    "I'll accept, only if my dad does. Has Maverick been briefed?"

   "Yes, tomorrow starts your first day. Your pilots are already here and situated. You start spying tonight at the Hard Deck." Cyclone took over.

    "Ok, am I dismissed?"

    "Yes," Cyclone grabbed a box and handed it to me, "In here is your uniform and everything you will need for this mission. I assume you will be staying with Penny and Maverick." I nodded.

    "Thank you, Bates, Cyclone. I'll keep you updated."

    "Don't break any rules, Phantom."

    "No promises, Cyclone!" He shook his head and laughed.