Prologue

Olivia Yamkela Jakkals

I hear a knock on my door...I'm currently laying on top of my carpet staring at the ceiling.

I heave out a sigh and stand up to go open the door. Upon figuring out that its my mom, I then step aside letting her in and walk back inside the room and sit on the edge of my bed. She does the same.

Mom: Honey, are you okay? You've been locked up in here the whole day, you did not even come for down dinner.

She says while staring at me with so much love and concern in her eyes.

I absolutely adore this woman with all my heart and would lay my life down for her within a heart beat. She is one of the strongest, successful yet humbled and loving women I know. She is the sublime definition of a heart of gold... always ready to selflessly help and care for those around her.

Her name is Sofia Ndoniyamanzi Jakkals married to Kevin Shaun Jakkals for 10 years now and still going strong. They share the most effortless love of which is truly beautiful to see and I can only hope to experience even so much as half of what they share.

My mom grew up in Cape Town and attended a boarding school there for most of her life. She practically left her mother in Italy to come and live with her Zulu dad here in South Africa when she was old enough to start pre-school. Her dad however, died in a car accident while she was still in high school but that did not hinder her decision about residing in South Africa much to her mothers annoyance.
I sometimes go and visit my grandma in Italy during holidays and try learning the language. I won't lie, I only know just a few words which can't even form a full sentence but we'll get there... baby steps.

My dad is white and grew up in Cape Town as well, of which is where he met my mom at Stellenbosch University as they were both studying medicine and have been together ever since.I am the only kid, grew up having everything I needed but my parents are both surgeon's and were always at work. I'd be lying if I said that I was neglected because I wasn't. I grew up in a warm household filled with love, respect and faith.
I'm currently attending at Wits and doing my 4th year of IT. So far everything is going well in my life ,I'm one of the best students there and am good at what I do, even if I do say so myself.

Yammy: I'm okay mom, just feeling a bit under the weather. It's that time of the month.

I mutter with the minimal amount of energy I have at the moment.

Mom: Oh my baby.

She stands up and engulfs me in a warm hug.

Mom: I'm so sorry my baby ,you should have told me. You know what? I'm
cancelling my dinner date with your father and im staying right here with you okay? I'll go fetch us some ice cream and we'll go watch your favourite movie, what's it called again?

I smile , gosh I love this woman.

Yammy: It's called "Home" ma. And no, you can't cancel your dinner date with dad, i promise you I'm okay.

My dad appears while carrying a package. He stands at the door for a while and looks at my mom and I with the biggest smile on his face. He then swiftly makes his way in and goes straight to my mom and pecks her lips.

Dad: My queen.

My mom blushes then he comes over to me and pecks me on my forehead and hands me the package. I give him a questioning look.

Dad: Go on princess, open it.

I do so. After finding the contents of the package, I can't help but smile and shake my head in amusement.

Yammy: A period package?Daddy how did you know?

Dad: I know everything about you princess.

I jump onto his lap.

Childish I know, moving on...

Yammy: Thank you so much! I really appreciate it... but y'all have to get going ,you have a dinner date to attend.

Dad: Ah yes, of course.

He says while standing up then slightly bows down and holds his hand out to my mom.

Dad: Your majesty, shall we?

She blushes.

Mom: We shall...

~~~~~~~~~~

Mom: OK my baby stay safe okay? And make sure that the house alarm is on at all times, oh and make sure that you eat and if there's anything wrong, please immediately call us ok honey?

I giggle.

Yammy: Yes my queen ,I know even though I'm 23 years old. I mean I can surely take care of myself hey...

I state matter-of-factly...

Mom: I know my baby, I just love you so much and want to make sure that you're safe at all times.

Just then dad walks out looking dashing as always and comes over to me and hugs me from behind while resting his chin on my head.

Dad: I won't even start cause I know that your mom already gave you mouthful. I just wanted to tell you that we'll be back very late so don't wait up and I love you princess.

Yammy: I love you too, now go take your queen out and do what you do best.

I wink.
He laughs out loud and my mom gives me a side eye but ends up blushing in the end.

Yammy: OK kids now off you go, bye!

Them: Bye baby!

5 minutes later I hear the intercom go off.

Yammy: Hello?

Azania: Chomii it's me ,I need you. (Friend)

She sounds distressed. I think I have an idea as to who it could be. Only one person can do her like this.

I open for her and wear black sweat pants along with my black hoodie and my slides then tie my hair into a messy bun then grab my car keys and walk out. I take one look at her and rush back into my room and grab another hoodie and then walk up to her and give her the hoodie to wear cause its a bit chilly outside.
I immediately engulf her in a nice big warm hug and stay in that position for a while. I pull back and take her to the passenger seat of my Range Rover and open the door for her to get in. I then close the door and walk over to the drivers side.

Yammy: We'll have a sleep over at my apartment and have a talk about it. Is that okay fiorella? ( little flower)

She nods her head, yes, I then switch the car heater on just to warm us up a bit while playing some music softly.