11. Majority Rules, Even in Death.

E L E V E N
Majority Rules, Even in Death.

I didn't expect all hell to break loose so quickly. Within ten minutes big trucks begin driving down the road, men jumping off with massive poles to knock down doors, dressed in full tactical gear, those not holding poles are armed. And they're looking for us.

We hide out at the top of a store, one they're bound to barge into at some point.

The windows at the front are almost entirely covered with newspaper, only providing a small sliver to look out of.

"They're not FEDRA, and they're not Fireflies, so who are they?" Ellie asks a question that's been playing in my mind. It's so organised, a strategic group, it seems like FEDRA, but it's not.

"People," Joel replies, really narrowing it down.

"Are we okay in here?" She stresses.

"For a little bit, maybe," Joel answers, we haven't got long hiding away here, they're going to come knocking, and something tells me I won't be able to worm my way out of this one. "Looks like they're checkin' out apartment buildings first. But they'll be coming through these places soon enough."

I look out the paper, "There's a really tall building, like, four blocks away."

"Yeah. Saw it." Joel confirms.

"So that's the one?" I turn to look at him.

"As soon as we don't hear a truck, we move. Fast as we can." Joel sits down on a chair, his elbow rests on the table and his hands rub the bridge of his nose.

I sit down, leaning against the wall, kicking my legs out, my head hits the back of the wall and I wince. Fucking hell, I forgot about that. I shuffle away for a bit, my hand goes to the back of my head, my messy French braids making feeling for where he hit easy. Even the smallest head wound bleeds like a motherfucker so when I feel blood it's not overly concerning.

"Ellie, can you look at my head?" I ask, turning my back to her, she squats behind me.

"Well, he busted it open," she says what I already know.

"Yeah, I figured that much out on my own, the blood was a good hint. I just want to know if my brain is about to fall out."

"You hit your head?" Joel asks, looking up at me from where he sits.

"My head got hit, the butt of his gun, it doesn't feel that bad though," I just want someone to tell me it's not that bad.

"It's not that bad, but your brain is going to be fried with how often you hit it," Ellie pats my shoulder.

"Well I fell off a three-story building and it still works decently, a broken nose and busted open head can't make it any worse." I give her a thin smile.

"You fell off a building?" Ellie laughs.

"I did." I want to get off the topic so I turn to Joel, "Are you okay?" I ask him, the room goes sombre quickly.

Joel nods, "I'm alright. Are you alright?" He asks Ellie, considering she shot someone for the first time.

"Yeah," Ellie nods, either she's a little psychopathic, or she's good at acting unphased.

"Thing is, I didn't hear that guy and, you shouldn't have had to, you know?" He says, trying to take blame that doesn't need to be taken. I didn't hear him either.

"Well, you're glad I did, right?" Ellie asks.

"You're just a kid. You shouldn't know what it means to... it's not like you killed him. But, shootin'. I know what it's like, first time you hurt someone, like that. You can, uh. I'm not good at this," I can't help but smile, he gets points for trying, but he isn't good at it.