27. Blue-footed Booby.

T W E N T Y - S E V E N
Blue-footed Booby.

The desolate ruins of what was once likely a bustling town or city, always evoke a strange feeling inside me.

On one hand, I have a longing for a life I never got to have, one where I got to drive around with my friends, with loud music, in a convertible wearing obnoxious sunglasses. On the other hand, I doubt I would've been cut out for that sort of life, I'm not social, or good with people. If someone doesn't approach me I won't approach them, all they'll get is a thin smile of acknowledgement. So, even if I got to live in whatever dilapidated city I walk around feeling that bubbling sadness, maybe it's better living in the now—for me at least.

After hours and hours on the horse, I eventually devise ways to make sure any and all food I consume stays in my stomach. The brilliant plan mostly consists of filling my mind with an insane amount of thoughts, even if they are just fluff about the insects or grass. The more I focus on everything other than the horse, the more that stays in my stomach.

University of Eastern Colorado

Home of the Big Horns

"Home of the Big Horns," Ellie reads at the same time I do. "What does that even mean?" She questions, something she's been doing for hours and hours. Anything she can ask, she asks, pestering me and Joel. I got gems like: what does it feel like to be high? I told her that I don't like it, you feel out of control; I think I only got that question because of my dead mother's checkered life. She also asked if I had any siblings, to which I shrugged. Doesn't really matter anymore, I probably have at least a half-sibling floating around somewhere, they're probably dead, but who knows?

The horses slow as we approach our destination.

I nibble the inside of my cheeks as I look around, a feeling of unease biting me from the inside. No matter how hard I try and convince myself that I'm fine, I haven't had a good feeling since yesterday. Joel said it's because of the horse, Ellie claiming I've probably got demons inside of me. Both are not helpful. Everything nowadays is empty, most places are almost completely silent, and seeing people is usually a bad thing, but getting further to the University I don't think that's a good thing this time.

"Team mascot." He replied, stopping his horse to look at the plaque with the weird, freaky animal cut into it. "It's a kind of sheep."

This is supposed to be where Ellie is going to help aid in a cure, or vaccine or whatever they're promising. Me personally, I grew up with Joel as my guardian so I can't help but be extremely doubtful that anything can be done. If it hasn't happened in twenty years, I doubt it will now.

"Oh, see. One step closer to your dream," Ellie jokes. "Unfortunately zero steps closer to Portugal or the Moon." The girl looks at the University critically, noticing what's making me even more anxious about what we're walking into. It feels like stumbling into a room blindfolded, being told to figure it out. "Don't see any Fireflies, though."

Joel's eyebrows are drawn together. He's got prominent creases between his eyebrows, but shockingly, no smile lines. He needs to lighten up. "They're probably in the middle. Safer," he theorises. Another stab in the dark.

"I still am creeped the fuck out. I just want to get that out there in case anything bad happens." I adjust my beanie, wanting to voice my concerns because I love being correct. "This place is too... quiet for anything world-altering to be happening. Surely they'd be hustle and bustle, perhaps a red carpet for Miss Saviour."

"You're so full of shit," Ellie snickers.

"Just you see. Bad vibes, Ellie, bad vibes."

Joel rolls his eyes, making the horse start walking, I don't know how the horse knows how to do that, but it does. "This way," He directs.