[43]

It's safe to say I was in the dog house

It's safe to say I was in the dog house. Not only did I disobey Ares, but disappointed all my other brothers. You should have seen their faces when Ares retold what happened. Although, I think he exaggerated it a bit.

Throughout the entire conversation, if you can call it that-because  it felt very one-sided - I kept my head down in shame. As Ares retold the story from his perspective, I cannot help but understand his worry.

I disappeared from his sight and of course, forgot my phone. With no way to contact me, his worry most definitely grew. After I freaked about last time Lorenzo was hesitant to punish me. So, he simply gave me a stern talking to, effectively displaying his displeasure in my actions. Rest assured, I do not want to let my brothers down again. Even with just receiving a warning, I still feel incredibly guilty.

Two days have passed and it's now Friday. Although my guilt still lingers, I'm eager to celebrate this birthday with my brothers. I've kept my card for Enzo safely secured in my bag so as to not spoil the surprise.

My classes today felt as if they were passing at agonizingly slow speed. Finally, I hear the last bell dismissing me from class. I hurriedly pack all my belongings away and rush to my designated meeting spot.

As I wait for Luca, I let my mind wander to all the possibilities tonight entails. Although most are positive, I can't help but think, maybe this night won't go well.

"Hey Fagiolo," Luca greets, slinging an arm around my shoulder.

Startling me from my thoughts, I fail to suppress the flinch at his sudden touch.

"Hi," I say back, unsuccessfully hiding my jumpiness.

I receive a concerned look from Luca as he slides my backpack off, balancing it on his vacant shoulder. He looks kinda funny with the girl's backpack.

I giggle at the thought which succeeds in lessening Luca's suspicions.

We make our way to the senior parking lot. As we walk, Luca asks me about my day to which I respond with animated answers. Whenever I converse with Luca, in fact any of my brothers, I always feel as if they are hanging off of my every word. To say the least, my earlier grim mood is easily lifted.

"Hey Luca?" I state, grabbing his attention.

He now sits behind the wheel, driving us home from school.

"What's up?" He responds.

I watch as he turns the music down, glancing at me through the rearview mirror.

"Are we gonna celebrate Enzo's birthday tonight?" I ask.

However instead of receiving a simple yes, I am met with silence from Luca.

"Luca?" I repeat, hoping I haven't lost his attention.

He shakes his head while releasing a long sigh.