Chapter Eight

The next morning when I woke up, I didn't see Lavender or Parvati. Apparently they'd both woken up and left before I'd even opened my eyes.

I sighed, the memories of the previous night coming back to me. It seemed like my argument with Lavender had torn a rift between us, and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to close it. She'd said some pretty hurtful things.

I figured the best thing I could do in regards to Lavender was to give her some space for a little while, give us both some time to cool down and think. Then I could go about mending fences.

I dressed in my Hogwarts uniform, fed Jab and gave him water, then waited for Hermione to finish getting ready before we went downstairs to the common room to meet up with Harry and Ron.

When we came downstairs, I noticed a very ticked-off Seamus storm out of the boys' dorm. He fumbled with his uniform tie for a bit before stomping over to Hermione and I.

"Tell your boyfriend to watch his mouth," he snapped at me.

His tone immediately put me on edge. I felt my hackles rising. "What are you talking about?"

"Harry. You tell him —"

"He's not my boyfriend —"

"Just tell him to keep his mouth shut," Seamus snapped. "Especially about my mother. Just because he worships Dumbledore and says whatever he tells him to doesn't give him the right to have a go at my mother!"

"Whatever, Seamus," I retorted, completely done with people accusing Harry and I of lying. "Go die in a potato famine."

He looked like he might actually smack me for that, but Dean showed up, and instead Seamus stormed away towards him and both of them headed for the portrait hole.

There was a moment's silence before Hermione frowned at me and said, " 'Go die in a potato famine?' "

I grinned a bit sheepishly. "Well... He's Irish, so..."

"Ash, I love you, but you have an incredibly strange way with words."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"Of course you will."

"At least Dean's here to console him," I mused.

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked.

"Aren't they dating?"

Hermione's eyes widened. "Are they?"

"I don't know! They've been giving off 'more-than-friends' energy since I got there, and I thought everyone was just used to it, so I didn't say anything."

"They're not dating, Ash," Hermione said. She thought for a moment, then added, "Though, now that I think about it, I wouldn't be too surprised if they were."

"I'm telling you, Mione, they ooze 'more-than-friends' energy."

"I don't like the word ooze."

"What do you think about the word gay?" I said, grinning and elbowing her. "Because that has to accurately describe what Dean and Seamus have going on."

"I think that it's accurate, too."

Harry, Luke, and Ron came downstairs, looking just as moody, if not more, than Seamus did.

"What's the matter?" asked Hermione, both of us catching up with them halfway across the common room as we all headed toward breakfast. "You look absolutely — oh for heaven's sake."

She was staring at the common room notice board, where a large new sign had been put up. I put on my contra-dyslexia glasses, which I wasn't used to after a few months of not having to wear them so much.