4. The Takeoff

Tommy sits in the chair with his arms crossed and a smug look on his face

Tommy sits in the chair with his arms crossed and a smug look on his face. My heart is going a million miles an hour, like I'm some Olympic swimmer. His scent surrounds me when I sit down and buckle my seatbelt. I remember it distinctly now, except this time there's no salty sweat or Ocean sand to it. I get the sweet earthy smell of warm cedar, as if he had been cutting down trees all day.

I start fiddling with my glasses, while the video on the back of the seats plays about airplane safety procedures and the plane starts moving like a car. This part isn't so bad, it's the anticipation that kills me.

My breathing is getting heavy because I know as soon as we're done with these videos our flight will be taking off.

I hate the takeoff and landing.

Tommy leans over to me and my face whirls around to his. My nose brushes against his strong, prominent one and I choke back a gasp, realizing how close we are. He's just as surprised, but the way his neck muscles pop, I can tell he's having the same reaction I am.

We're both thinking about that kiss.

His superb eyes darken and for a moment I forget about the takeoff. I'm so close to him that I can feel his beard tickle my skin and my body shakes for a whole new reason. His eyes flick to a spot on my neck and I'm wondering if he can see my heartbeat in a vein or something.

A loud ding snaps us both out of it and then we are told that we will be taking off. My hands immediately grip the leather arm chairs so tight that I tear some of the fabric. I really don't want to embarrass myself in front of Tommy, especially seeing as how he's been so sweet and is downright the man of my dreams... but I need my paper bag.

He probably thought I was joking but I wasn't. 

Sadly.

My hands go to my lap and my eyes widen in horror.

"Oh God." I whisper with a crackle to my voice.

I left my bag in my backpack and I can't get it now. My breathing gets shorter, and I probably look like.... Well, a person about to have a panic attack.

Because I am.

Everything gets loud as our plane turns onto the strip. Even with the medication Tommy gave me, I feel like I'm about to vomit.

A tug on my bun jolts me out of my freakout and I feel my medium length hair fall to my shoulders. Before I can turn and ask Tommy what he's doing, strong fingers dig into my scalp and begin to massage my head and neck.

"Put your head between your legs and take deep even breaths," his low voice commands.

I do exactly as he says. The sound of the armchair between us squeaking gets my attention and I realize he's putting it up so that he can have better access to me. He doesn't stop massaging me and soon we're off the ground and climbing up in the air. My stomach plummets to my butt and my ears pop, ringing loud as I screw my eyes shut and whimper. It takes forever for the plane to reach its desired height. Once it does, I take a deep breath and relief floods through me. I'm still a nervous wreck, but much better now that the takeoff is over.