Chapter Twenty-One

I was stirred awake by the warm sensation of someone resting on my stomach

I was stirred awake by the warm sensation of someone resting on my stomach. No matter how much I blinked, the darkness in my room didn't fade. The feeling of fingertips starting at my belly button and ending at the waistband of my shorts had my heart racing and completely blocked out any valid concerns I should have been feeling.

My heartbeat echoed in my ears like the sound of waves in a seashell.

The mysterious weight vanished. The lack of contact didn't make it any easier to breathe. Really, there was no excuse for my labored breathing except for anticipation.

A familiar breathy laugh splayed against my lips, hushed and teasing, as a voice whispered my name, "Kate."

Nothing obstructed my view when I opened my eyes this time. My gaze locked onto the culprit's lips, which were pink, wet, and glistening with a sparkling lip gloss.

They pouted purposely out of reach.

I glanced up, sucking in a sharp breath.

Rosie.

Rosie with her face hovering over me. Her eyes were a deep mix of acorns and forest, caramel on the surface, teeming with something dark underneath. Despite my efforts, I couldn't maintain eye contact. Our faces were so close. But the pressure of her hand on my chest limited how far my neck could reach.

Tension filled the air between us, suffocating and building, and nothing seemed to lessen it. My eyes fixed on her mouth for the second time. For a moment, only a fleeting moment, I thought about kissing her. Just leaning in, pressing my mouth to hers, and tasting those pouting lips.

I should've had the strength to stop, however, in the quiet darkness of the night, with her body pressed against mine, it was all too consuming to think rationally. We'd only just begun to have conversations that didn't end with one of us storming off in a fit of rage.

I needed to move away.

And yet-

She cupped my face and disintegrated all my thoughts.

"Kate," she murmured, her breathy laugh echoing in the room again.

A rosy flush appeared on her cheeks, adding a touch of gentleness to her already pure gaze. But there was something new; an underlying current that hummed with desperation and an almost tangible energy that tried not to draw attention to itself. Whatever it was, it left my mouth dry, and my curiosity piqued.

Her hand traced down my face, her thumb caressing my bottom lip with a gentle stroke. A sudden gasp broke the stillness of the room, and I wasn't sure who it came from - me or her.

"It's funny," she whispered, voice low.

"What is?" I asked, letting my eyes wander over the curves of her face, tracing the path of her long eyelashes and the tip of her nose before settling on those soft, full, and addictive lips.