9

Sita

It hurts... it hurts when I breathe.

I finally get to the flat stone and fall to my knees with Mud's body on my back. Once I lay him down carefully, I rush over to the stream that separates this stone from the stone at the temple's entrance.

"Haaa!" I suck water into my gills when they appear; the water cools me off once the dryness and pain goes away some.

I need a gift. A gift I've never given before.

I try to transition my body into my hunting form but fail.

"Na, na, na," I panic; then cup my hands.

I scoop water to my lips and drink.

"Na, na," I click after my body pains again.

My gills keep fading away.

I drink and drink, then put a finger in one of my gills to keep it manifested. 

"Ahh! Na-o!" I fall to my knees in pain, but calm down when they stay.

I grab at the water and pull it too my chest to suck in more, then splash my dry eyes.

A gift... what gift?

"I've given you everything," I look at the water, then look at the temple.

A monkey jumps on my shoulder.

"Hm?"

It doesn't speak, but puts my hair in a bundle and yanks it.

"Ah... what? What is it?" I ask while holding onto my hair so it won't keep pulling it.

"Hair... cut your hair!" He screeches in my native tongue then jumps off me.

My hair? Cut my hair?

My body feels like urchans stung me all over. I fix my eyes to see through the deepening darkness better, then make my way out of the stream.

"My hair..." I return to mud.

I grab my knife quickly and hold my hair into a bundle with my other hand.

In my tribes cutting hair is honorable... but having it long it also divine.

The sounds of me slicing through my strands echo. Animal's ooos and ahhs come.

"Go! Goooo!" I hear in many animal voices.

The urgency scares me.

I hold my hair in my fist carefully, pick Mud up, then walk through the stream to the other side. I ignore physical and emotional pain while I climb onto another flat grey stone.

"Please..." I get to the temples opening and fall to my knees with him in my arms.

"Take my hair... please?" I beg.

I raise my head when the sounds of russling mix with my weeping. The vines and forest open up for me, revealing the entrance. I lift Mud, but fall to my knees from his dead weight and my exhaustion.

Im tired. Im weak.

Prayers leave my lips for strength while stone carvings and sacred symbols come into view. There's a glow in the temple from the fluorescent blue waters that move slightly in a square pool.

You've done it this time. You've gone too far Sita.

I finally get on my feet. As I walk, moss and vines continue moving out of our path. I look up at the moon through a large opening in the defined architecture.