CH 26 || New Years

Laughter, shouts, and buzzing conversations surrounded me, only slightly overshadowed by the loud pop music blaring through the speakers. For what felt like the hundredth time tonight, I let my eyes wander across the packed living room, searching for the only person I hadn't seen tonight.

Suz hung onto Nick's shoulder, her eyes closed but her mouth kept forming words, probably mumbling a tirade of incoherent sentences. She'd already drunk half a bottle of wine. A few meters down, Jules stood next to Cody, talking animatedly. I was surprised at how well he got along with the guys. They kept trying to get him to come train with them. Whatever that meant.

Still, I couldn't spot that annoyingly handsome face and broad set of shoulders anywhere. Where was Killian?

I'd barely gotten a glimpse of him after he'd returned from dropping off Alicia. That had been yesterday. Today, I hadn't seen him at all. Maybe he left to go somewhere? Or...meet someone?

I chewed on my lower lip. Not that I minded having some Killian free time for a change. It was just...strange. Usually, he was everywhere. Especially, when I didn't want to see him. I could text him of course. But why would I, when we lived in the same house?

Alicia was making her way up to Cody. Her white-blond hair was styled in long glossy waves that cascaded down her back. She looked stunning in her tight black dress. I'd opted to wear skinny jeans and a fitted sweatshirt. Next to her... Wait. What the hell? Why was I comparing myself to her anyways?

She tugged on Cody's sleeve, her mouth forming words. I sneaked a little closer until I was in hearing range but covered behind Jules' back.

"He should be around somewhere. Maybe check the garage again," Cody said.

Did Cody just lie? With a straight face? I didn't know he had it in him, because one thing was for sure; Killian was definitely not around, and especially not in the garage. I'd just come from there.

"I already did. I didn't find him. Look, I wanted to thank him for the other day—"

"I really don't know where he is," he cut her off bluntly.

Again, I had the sinking feeling that I was missing some crucial background information. Cody wasn't the type to talk like this, especially not to a girl.

Her expression slipped. "Fine. I will find him myself." She caught sight of me as she turned away and her eyes narrowed, but then she dodged through the throng of people and was gone. Probably looking for Killian again.

My fingers clenched around the water in my hand. Which was perfectly fine with me. I didn't care one bit that we hadn't really talked since he'd picked her up. Not at all.

A glance at the large grandfather clock said we had fifteen minutes until midnight. No wonder Alicia was in such a hurry. I bet they were going to have a great time...

I stomped my foot and scratched my scalp. I really had to clear my head.

Jules shot me a confused look, but I waved him off, squeezed myself through the packed living, and escaped up the stairs. Nobody aside from us was allowed up here. I trudged towards the back and out to the large balcony covered by a thick wooden roof. Finally, the noise from the party quieted and some of the tension left me.

My breath rose in thick, misty clouds. In front of me, the bustling lights of the town illuminated the snow-covered rooftops and streets.

A light breeze picked up and, in an instant, shivers raced down my body. I rubbed my arms and heaved a sigh. Maybe this wasn't the best place to hide until midnight passed. Would anyone know if I went to my room? Suzy was wasted, so probably not.