CH 28 || Hedgehogs and Pigeons

My stomach growled as I followed the delicious smell of pancakes wafting through the house. I found Cody standing at the stove, a spatula in his hand. He wore a dark blue sweater that looked even better against his dark skin.

He lifted the sizzling pan and added a pancake to the giant stack. He was about to add another scoop of batter when he noticed me trying to grab one of them. Stopping me with one hand, he grabbed a different stack of smaller, slightly darker pancakes from behind the coffee machine with the other. "Special order," he said with a wink.

"Huh?"

He nodded at the big stack. "Those are not for you. These are"—he pointed at the other ones—"safe to eat."

I blinked and remembered to close my mouth. "How do you—"

He flashed me a grin. "Oh, I didn't make them. I was just told to deliver."

I paused. I didn't have to ask who did. Suz was still in our room and there was only one other person in this house who knew.

"Tay?"

I woke from my trance. Cody chuckled at my stunned face and ushered me to the large mahogany table. I plopped down and watched as he grabbed a plate and prepared apples, syrup, and my own special pancakes. "Tell me if you want more, I'm gonna hide the rest for now. When the others come in, they're like scavengers."

Nodding slowly, I cut the pancakes and bit in. The soft, fluffy texture melted in my mouth. They tasted amazing, a bit like pumpkin.

"Thank you for the hood—" I started but Suz chose that very moment to appear out of nowhere and squeal loudly. Cody and I both grimaced at her high-pitched tone.

He turned back to me. "What were you saying—"

"Cody!" she interrupted us again. "Are those pancakes? I'm gonna need like a whole stack or I'll die. Die!" She stared at him pleadingly.

I watched her closely. Something was off...

Before I could call her out, Killian strode into the room. His short dark hair was damp, and his eyes still held a shred of drowsiness. He yawned, drawing my attention to the short stubble he still hadn't shaved, walked around the table, and pulled out the chair next to me.

I quickly averted my gaze. I was cool with him sitting next to me. Super cool, actually. How did you spell that again? C-O-O—

More people started coming in. I hadn't even realized how many had crashed here. Cody brought in a few more chairs when suddenly my vision shifted; Killian grabbed the underside of my chair and pulled me closer, making room for more chairs.

I sneaked a glance at him. He was eating and talking to Jules as if nothing had happened. He leaned back and his fingertips grazed against my shoulder, feather-light, before he propped his arm at the back of my chair, naturally. Tingles raced down my spine, making me itchy and somewhat restless but not uncomfortably so.

Just then Alicia entered, wrapped in a green cardigan but still wearing the same black dress from yesterday. She stared at us briefly before deciding to sit down opposite me. Out of the corner of my eyes, I noticed the worried look Cody sent Killian. Weird.

A second later Killian got up. Alicia's gaze trailed after him until he disappeared inside the kitchen. Suddenly, my chest felt stuffy. I jumped to my feet, grabbed some empty plates, and went after him.

He looked up when I came in. His mouth curved as his eyes ran over the hoodie that was way too big but also way too comfortable. I braced myself for one of his comments, but he didn't say anything. Maybe I was imagining things.