THIRTY-EIGHT | my pirate king

"You're only alive because of your connection with Melody. Don't push it pirate king," Calum threatened. Christopher was brandishing a sword of blood, his eyes were red and hazed with insanity.

"I told her I would protect her," Christopher grumbled through the pain. Calum slung his head back in laughter. "Protect her! God, you can't even protect yourself!" His laugh was thick with a sinister energy that made Chris freeze in fear. He knew he couldn't win. He knew he would die if he fought on equal terms.

But this wasn't a fair fight. If he died so did Melody. He at least he had a chance. And- "You are thinking such impudent thoughts Pirate King." Red

It was like the sky had turned into a sea of fire. Christopher's lips twitched into a blissful smile. "You underestimate me you overgrown lizard!" He drew in the air with his blood, creating a small magic circle. "Curse of blood. Immunity. Heat resistance. Enhance strength." His body burned with the cursed blood flooding his veins.

Calum smirked, "so you're not completely weak."

•••

Melody stood in the corner of Gabriel's
office room with Crystal. Everyone looked at their outfits and black hair curiously but didn't say anything. Gabriel seemed to get angry when they mentioned it so their lips were sealed. The whole parliament had flooded Gabriel's office the second they were alerted of the king's return.

"Your majesty! We are so glad you're safe! But you must tell us what happened! Who is responsible for your kidnapping!"

Gabriel sighed. "It was a dragon who goes by the name Calum Crimson." The men looked between each other in pure confusion. Most dragons didn't have names, especially not last names. They had no use for them. "He is also the one who set fire to the palace garden. We must apprehend this perpetrator!"

Melody looked at the floor sheepishly. If they knew she was the actual person who set the fire she would be done for.

They all cheered in agreement. Anyone who insulted the Ashe Kingdom would leave headless! Gabriel ordered his army to gather. According to Melody, Calum's powers were enough to burn one person to the ground with a single breath. Not to mention Christopher who could put curses on people and alter their bodily makeup. He told his parliament all this and the arrangements were made.

This was war.

•••

Melody watched from his bed as Gabriel stood still as his servants dressed him in armor. "I could help you! I have my magic and-." Gabriel shook his head no. "You've already fought your battle. And you won. Now let me fight this one," he smiled at her solemn expression.

"I'll come back," he kneeled in front of her. He arched his neck so he could see her eyes. She slightly looked down to him revealing the tears that were streaming down her face. Gabriel wiped her cheek with his gloved hand. "I promise."

Melody stared in his eyes for any sign that he was lying to her. He wasn't. He had every intention of keeping his word. She slowly nodded. "Okay," she breathed. He grinned and before he could stand back up Melody hugged him. She had started to feel uncomfortable at physical touch but Gabriel seemed to be an exception.

Melody hugged his head to her chest and resolved her heart to be patient. Gabriel stiffened. "Are you trying to seduce me right now?" Melody raised an eyebrow at him and realized his face was bright pink. He leaned up and grinned at her matching shade of rose. He stopped only inches from her face. "Can I kiss you?"

Melody's heart jumped. He was being considerate of what she had just gone through. She gave him a toothy grin. "Yes."

He kissed her. A soft and easy kiss that made her chest swirl with butterflies. She was falling for this man little by little. He pecked her cheek and her forehead. He continued to leave small kisses all over her face making her laugh. He stood up and headed for the door. "When I get back I'm making you my queen for real!" He cheesed a happy smile and waved goodbye.

Melody didn't need a mirror to know her face resembled a tomato. She realized he had called her his queen again. Her resurfacing anxiety crushed those butterflies into pieces. She hadn't really thought she would need to consider it. Did she truly want to be with Gabriel? 'What am I going to do?'