17: Summer Breeze

"So you're... magical?" Anton asks. Snug under the covers after having showered and shared a pizza from a restaurant that was miraculously open at this hour, I've finally told him the unbelievable story of what I've been through since the night before.

Leaning my head against his bare shoulder, I nod. "Something like that..." I reply. "Although maybe... the magic's gone. I'm not quite sure how it all works. I have to ask my grandpa."

I look down at my hands that rest on the floral bed sheet. Faint icy blue lines are still visible, although they could be mistaken for veins straying close to the skin. Perhaps they will fade altogether eventually, but there is also a possibility that a storm will brew again, making the lines dark and potent. Everything is possible at this point.

Anton places a kiss on my forehead. "I always knew you were magical anyway."

"You... you don't mind then?"

Taking my frost-lined hand in his Anton turns toward me with an earnest look. "Do you mind that I'm having a child?" he asks.

"No..." I mumble. "I mean, of course not. We'll figure all that out eventually."

"Exactly." Anton presses his lips against mine. In one fell swoop, he flips up the edge of the blanket with his hand to cover us both with it, creating a cave of warmth. "We'll figure everything out. Together."

"Even the frost giant stuff?" I ask, half-jokingly. But I also know the giant can't be gone. Forn is still out there, wanting to cover all of Scandinavia in snow. And he will need me to do his bidding.

"Even the frost giant stuff," Anton assures me with another heated kiss. His bare chest press so tightly against mine that I can sense his heartbeat. Having borrowed my shower gel, he smells like Arctic Cold, yet there is a breeze of summer hidden in the scent. A blast of sandy beaches and tanning lotion.

He's the blast of heat keeping me warm and I'm the soothing wind chilling him on a sweaty day. United we keep each other on an even keel. We're a temperate spring day when buds bust out of the lingering snow.

Before being obliterated by the scorching sun that is my bedmate, I want to know what is next for us. "So what are your plans for tomorrow?" I ask, trying to sound nonchalant but failing. Ideally, I would spend every day until eternity in this bed together.

"I guess I have to head home." Anton sighs. "I should get my stuff from the apartment and move it to my parents' place. It's probably best I stay there, still close by but not under the same roof as Sofia. Although I would be further away from you."

"It's only an hour train ride," I counter. "We can manage. I'll go there sometimes and you can come here as well. What will you... tell your parents though?"

Anton makes a grimace. "I might just tell them about Sofia first. Don't want to drop everything on them at once. Although I don't think they will mind me being with you or anything. They always loved having your around anyway. But maybe we can take it a bit slow?"

"That's fine." I kiss his flushed cheek. "We'll do everything in our own speed. Do you mind if I tell my sister though? I need to head over there to return her car keys tomorrow and Ida will have questions. She figured out something had happened between us the moment I stepped through the door yesterday. You know how she is."

"I do know Ida," Anton snickers. "Would you mind if I tag along there before I leave? I suspect you have no breakfast at home and your sister will probably ply us with food."

"You would be right in that assumption." I look over toward the by-now empty fridge, as the yogurt has gone bad and Anton ate the remaining crackers. "And I would love for you to come with me to Ida's." I fail to hold back a yawn. It has been an incredibly long day and no matter how much I wish to spend all night cuddling, sleep also sounds very alluring. And Anton and I have plenty of time for such activities while we explore our relationship at our own speed.

"Sleep?" Anton asks, turning to spoon me in his muscular arms.

"Sleep," I agree, relishing in his warmth against my back. With him around, I'll never be cold again.

Anton turns slightly in the bed, reaching for his phone on the bedside table. "Is it alright if I turn on some music?" he asks. "I always listen to something to be able to fall asleep."

I can't believe I've forgotten this habit of his. When we had sleepovers years ago, Anton always insisted on turning on the radio before we tucked in. He claimed the silence would cave in on him otherwise.

"Go ahead." I mush my face into the pillow, preparing to lull off into dreams.

Anton clicks a few times to select a playlist. It must be one he had already started playing earlier because the last few lines from a song I never will forget soon fills the apartment.

Our song. Our song. The song we danced to. For real. Only the two of us.

So many songs we forgot to play

So many dreams swinging out of the blue

We let them come true

Forever young...

***

Author's Note: This story is almost over, but stay tuned for the epilogue...