14. Grayson

We walk into class and everyone turns to stare at us with wide eyes.

Emery keeps her head lowered and quickly walks to her seat.

She really doesn't like people looking at her.

As I sit down, people start whispering.

From my spot, I can see it's Kyle, one of Jack's friends, sitting next to her.

Fuck no.

I keep my eyes on him, not trusting him to leave Emery alone.

The seat next to me is open, so I quietly move over one to get a better view.

Kyle scoots closer to Emery, and I clench my jaw as he puts his hands under the table.

I swear if he fucking touches her—

Emery starts scooting away from him, trying to put distance between them.

That's my girl. Don't let him make you uncomfortable.

"Mrs. Benson?" Emery calls. "Can I move seats?"

"Yes, make it quick," Mrs. Benson replies. "Go sit back by Grayson. There's an empty seat over there."

Emery nods and quickly grabs her bag and walks over to the seat next to me.

Kyle looks over his shoulder and snarls.

"You okay?" I whisper.

"Later," she shakes her head.

After class is over, Kyle gets up and walks toward us.

"You think you're fucking funny? Hooking up with this bitch?" He growls at Emery.

She doesn't respond. Instead, she grabs my hand and leads me to the door.

I hear Kyle still saying something, but Emery doesn't stop, she just keeps walking.

After we're far enough away from him, she slows down.

She's quiet for a few seconds before whispering, "he wouldn't stop touching me."

"What?" I demand. "Touching you how?"

"He kept touching my legs," she mumbles.

That sick fucking bitch. I'm going to kill him.

She senses the change in me and puts her hand on my arm.

"Don't do anything," she whispers.

"But he put his fucking—"

"Please, Gray," she begs. "I don't want you getting in trouble and getting suspended. I don't want to have to do this alone."

She's never called me Gray before. No one has.

"Okay," I mutter, willing myself to calm down. "Fine."

After a minute, I murmur, "Who do you have next class with?"

"Jack," she flinches.

"Promise me you'll tell me if he does anything," I squeeze her hand gently as she looks up at me.

"I will," she promises.

As we make it to her class, I break our hands apart and watch her walk in.

I hope Jack doesn't fucking touch her.

xxx

The rest of my classes go by so fucking slow, and by the time lunch comes around, I pretty much run to the cafeteria.