Chapter 27: Nanny Dong - Mother agrees to your divorce.

"Mother!" Ji Wan'er called out, her heart filled with unease. In this unfamiliar era and place, she was not afraid of Xiao Qingming noticing her abnormal behavior, nor was she afraid of Yun Shuang and Zi An noticing, or even the villagers discovering her secret. Because the original owner had only interacted with these people for a short period, they hadn't fully grasped her personality.

Her only fear was that Ji Wan'er's maternal family would find out, especially Nanny Dong.

Nanny Dong was not an ordinary person; she had experience working in the grand estate and was more shrewd than others.

Nanny Dong didn't know what her daughter was thinking. She raised her hand and touched her daughter's face, tears streaming down continuously. Her once pampered daughter had fallen from the clouds into the dirt. Her face had lost its plumpness, her complexion was no longer fair, and her hands had become rough.

How much suffering she must have endured.

At this moment, Nanny Dong regretted it. She regretted marrying her daughter to this impoverished scholar, regretted not listening to her daughter's words and allowing her to divorce her husband.

Ji Wan'er could tell that Nanny Dong had many things she wanted to say to her. Looking at the waiting customers nearby, Ji Wan'er said, "Mother, please wait here for a moment. I will finish selling these and then talk to you."

With that, Ji Wan'er served tofu nao to a customer.

Nanny Dong stood by and watched her daughter's skilled appearance, feeling even more heartache.

After about twenty minutes, Ji Wan'er sold all the tofu nao.

"Mother, have you had breakfast?" Ji Wan'er asked.

"Not yet," Nanny Dong replied.

"Shall we find a steamed bun shop and eat something?" Ji Wan'er suggested to her.

"Okay," Nanny Dong agreed.

After these twenty minutes, Nanny Dong's emotions had calmed down. She stopped crying and regained some composure. Having experienced many hardships in life, she was more rational than emotional. The reason she had been so overwhelmed earlier was because she suddenly saw her daughter suffering and exhausted, which took her by surprise and broke her heart.

Yesterday, she heard from the neighbors in the village that they saw her daughter in town, looking strange. So this morning, she decided to come to the market and see if it was indeed her daughter.

She didn't expect it to be her delicate daughter.

In just a few months of not seeing each other, her daughter seemed like a different person. Although Nanny Dong couldn't discern the expression on her daughter's face, a person's eyes don't lie. Her daughter was much calmer and more composed than before.

After packing up their belongings, Ji Wan'er looked at Yun Shuang and Zi An and introduced them to Nanny Dong. "Mother, this is Yun Shuang and Zi An."

Nanny Dong's face lit up with a kind smile. She said, "I saw these two children when you got married. It's been a long time, and Shuang Jie has become even more spirited, while Zi An has grown stronger. They both look like clever kids."

Yun Shuang and Zi An had been feeling quite awkward, but upon hearing Nanny Dong's words, they smiled shyly.

Their sister-in-law's mother was so gentle, just like their sister-in-law.

"Hello, Auntie."

"Oh, good children. Hello to both of you."

In fact, Nanny Dong had long forgotten what Yun Shuang and Zi An looked like, but she knew her son-in-law had siblings. Seeing the resemblance between the two children and her son-in-law, she quickly guessed their identities. However, she was surprised that her daughter would bring these two children with her and treat them so well.