Vitamin B7 (Biotin)

Vitamin B7 also known as biotin is a coenzyme that is involved with the metabolism of nutrients to assist the body in creating energy while also playing a role in nervous system functioning and psychological functioning. Vitamin B7 is however more commonly known by its ulterior name biotin in the health and beauty department for its effects in the maintenance of healthy hair, skin, and nails. Humans do not produce biotin through metabolic functioning thus it has to be acquired either by food intake or supplementation. Good sources of biotin include salmon, sardines, liver, avocado, bananas, mushrooms, raspberries, egg yolk, peanuts, and whole wheat bread. It is however more common for individuals to meet their Vitamin B7 recommended daily intake through a supplement rather than through their diet given it is available in only small quantities in food products. A deficiency in Vitamin B7/Biotin is rare but when it occurs it can cause the development of hair loss, a scaly red rash around the eyes, nose, mouth, and genitals, cracks in the corners of the mouth, a sore tongue, dry eyes, loss of appetite, fatigue, depression, insomnia and impaired immune functioning.