Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin, hydroxocobalamin, methylcobalamin)

Vitamin B12 also known as cyanocobalamin is a complex crystalline compound that is responsible for proper blood cell formation, neurological functioning, and the synthesize of DNA. Every cell within the human body needs Vitamin B12 for their metabolism, and without it red blood cells cannot multiply properly which can lead to a condition known as anemia. Symptoms of anemia include weight loss, pale or yellowish skin, diarrhea, and a sore mouth or tongue. More problematic than developing anemia, a deficiency of Vitamin B12 can lead to irreversible and severe damage to the brain and nervous system. Symptoms of a deficiency include depression, confusion, memory loss as well as an increased risk of developing mania, psychosis, and dementia. More serious symptoms can also cause neurological changes that result in numbness or tingling in the hands and feet, as well as a loss of balance. Unlike the previously mentioned B complex vitamins, Vitamin B12 is found primarily in animal sources and is generally not seen in fruits and vegetables. Good sources of Vitamin B12 include beef, ham, pork, poultry, lamb, haddock, tuna, milk, eggs, cheese, and yogurt.