oragami flowers; stephen meeks

It was a wonderful day outside. Sunny skies, red sand, a gentle breeze that played with their hair as they scavenged for a nice spot to sit. The beginning of summer was beautiful for multiple reasons: the heat, the water, the popsicles, the little freckles that popped up on your shoulders after a few days of fun. 

Stephen looked back at y/n as they put sunscreen on their face, he found himself laughing. Y/n squinted and then teased, "Don't laugh when you're the one looking like a fresh tomato."

Stephen found a place that was fairly plain to avoid stumbles and set down his beach towel. Y/n set theirs next to him and took off the cover-up they had wrapped around their body. "You know, I'm not really one for beaches but this ones quite nice."

Stephen sat down on his towel and appreciated the scenery. The beautiful blue water creating childish waves and trickling onto the sand to make it wet and perfect for sand castles. "California has its good things."

"Yeah, just don't get close to Hollywood....or Fresno," y/n laughed, putting on their sunglasses. They looked down at Stephen who decided to lay back and sigh. "Do you need sunscreen?"

He nodded, "Just give me a little while. I'm out of the clutches of Welton, back home, and I little tanning wouldn't kill me."

They shook their head in amusement, "Slow down soldier," they bent down to pinch his cheek, earning a toothy grin in return. They set down the sunscreen next to him on the towel, "I'm gonna go get in the water. Come on down when you want to ok?"

"Ok," he mumbled then leaned up on his shoulder, "Kiss?"

They rolled their eyes but then gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. He pouted, "What was that?"

"A kiss, Meeks," they stuck out their tongue then ran to the shore. A scream left their lips once the water hit their body. It was overwhelmingly cold and salty. Slowly, they directed themselves more forward only to be tumbled down by a huge wave. All he heard was maniac laughter as their body fell back into the water. He laughed as they struggled with a yarn of seaweed in their hair. But to their thought, it was a sea animal finding shelter in their hair. Stephen wasn't the type to correct when ones fear was hilarious. 

"I think there's a jellyfish in my hair!" they screamed in pure fear. He shook his head.

"Don't be shy, touch it so it stings you!" 

"Stephen!" the distress in their voice made his stomach hurt. "Stephen, help me! This isn't funny."

He turned to muffle his laughter on the blanket but he looked like a worm out of dirt. He shook in bellows, almost wheezing. He slowly found himself on his feet, clutching onto his stomach as he still heaved and let out little giggles unwillingly. Y/n swatted at their hair as he began running toward the water. 

He hissed when the coldness met his bare feet but he continued making his way to where they were. One of his hands grabbed theirs and the other went up to their hair. He made a little shushing noise before taking the seaweed out. There seemed to be a lot, once the last piece of it came out he leaned in and gave them a deep kiss. Y/n's eyes closed into the kiss, letting out a little excited yelp. When they separated, y/n had a goofy smile on their face and Stephen showed the piece of seaweed that had been terrorizing their head. 

Their mouth opened in disbelief before throwing a playful punch to his arm. He winced, "You didn't tell me it was seaweed, you idiot!"

"Ouch! I didn't need to. It was too funny!"

Y/n sprung forward for another kiss. Stephen hummed against their lips, wrapping a hand around their waist. It was warm like the sun, salty from the water they were thrashing in, and the perfect picture of summer that tasted like piña coladas and Pepsi. They both couldn't stop smiling. 

That was until a huge wave tumbled them down. 

Their day ended with a small sandwich shop and Pepsi colas. Y/n chewed happily on their cuban sandwich and Stephen on his blt. Their hair was wet and sticking to their skin, their towels wrapped loosely around their waists. The view from the beach was still plentiful as the sun went down and the sky sported an array of pinks and purples. They equally wished they had brought a camera to take pictures.

"I could live here forever," Stephen licked his lips to take some crumbs off the corner of his lips. He took another eager bite off his sandwich, nearly biting his finger in the process and snapping a piece of nail in the process. 

"Me too. Stephen, me too," their mouth salivated as another plate was introduced to the table. 

"Can we bring you anything else? Our desserts for the night are Neapolitan sugar cookie sandwiches and the double oreo vanilla decker. Which consists of smashed oreos with vanilla ice cream, chocolate cookie covers, dunked in melted oreo insides."

Y/n covered their mouth, asking if they could share a dessert with their eyes. Stephen bit the inside of his cheek before giving in. "Can we get two Neapolitan sugar cookie sandwiches and one double oreo vanilla decker?"

"Sure, they should be ready expeditiously." 

Y/n bit their bottom lip to avoid another grin. Stephen shrugged smugly before taking a sip of his drink. 

A few minutes passed by and their plates were practically licked clean. "Stephen, I'm gonna go to the restroom. I'll be back."

"Okay, don't get eaten by a shark."

When y/n was out of view he grabbed a napkin that was under a coaster and started to contort it into a piece of beautiful origami. He was usually pretty fast, this was one of his pastimes. He finished the beautiful rose and sighed, looking down at it in his hand. He stood up the moment he saw them again and put the rose behind his back.

They raised a curious brow. They walked toward each other, "I paid for everything already, let's get out of here."

Y/n did a little jog to take one last sip of their Pepsi then obliged. "Oh and one more thing," Stephen led them down the stairs of the beach house-inspired restaurant. When they got to the bottom of the steps, "Here's to the best summer of our lives," he displayed the flower with a small smile. He put it in their hands. Y/n looked down at it and bit their bottom lip again. 

"Thank you," it was light but still swept him off his feet. 

"I can't imagine this summer with out you."

And there wasn't any more summers without y/n.