Chapter 2

I would have to be a crazy person to show up on Theo Jameson's doorstep like we're long-lost friends. It's not like Theo doesn't have a good support system in this difficult time because I know he does. Facebook told me so right before everything escalated.

Theo and Mary Jo's pages on Facebook and Instagram blew up when Mary Jo went missing on July 4th. Then, shortly after her body was found, their social media accounts were immediately locked down. I wasn't sure if it was by request of the family or by investigators, but now I was completely shut out of their lives. Without a way of contacting Theo Jameson directly, I knew I had to make the trip. Scope out the scene a little. I wanted to see what happens in a small town in rural DeWitt County--where nothing ever happens--when there's been a brutal murder.

Yoakum is nearly a two-hour drive from my home in Austin on a good day. It would be a weekend trip where I can drop in and catch up with my old high school bestie, Janice Friedman. Janice knew everybody and everything that went on in that town, so I knew I was in for a real treat.

"They found her body ashore on South Padre Island. You know, where the isolated part of the beach is where people go camping and off-roadin' and stuff? Yeah, that's where they found her," Janice said into the phone when I called to tell her I was coming. "But they have the suspicion it happened here in Yoakum. It's crazy, girl."

"Yikes, that's terrible. Poor Mary Jo. I can't imagine why anyone would want to do such a thing to her," I said, driving 183 South. "There's no way Theo did this. I just know it couldn't be him."

"I don't know. They say Theo and Mary Jo were having problems. Fightin' more than usual. Cops getting called out to their house for domestic disturbances and shit. I don't know, girl. I wouldn't put it above him."

"I know, I know. It's always 'the husband did it' in these kinds of scenarios, but you know how intuitive I am. I can tell within three seconds whether someone has good energy or bad energy about them."

"I know."

"That's why I need to see him."

"What?! Girl, no. Uh uh. That does not sound like a good idea to me," Janice said before laughing nervously. Her boisterous voice crackled in the speakers. I had to turn her down. I knew she was about to get animated.

Nothing but flatlands passed by the windows of my Mini Cooper. Nothing but boring, rural driving from here forward. Lots of mesquites and dry land. Nothing to see. Nothing to do. Just speed traps with small-town cops who hope to catch you speeding so they can get a payday. With a red and white sporty car like mine, it was easily a target.

"I need to look him in the eyes. To feel him out."

"You crazy, girl?! There is no way he is going to let you or anyone near him right now! Heather Jenkins, his neighbor, said he's in hiding right now. In fact, I doubt he's even there at the house. I think the feds have blocked it off for forensic evidence or some shit. There's yellow tape all around it."

"Yellow tape?"

"Yeah! It's been nothing but a shit show over here. Trust me," said Janice before her phone slightly cut in and out. My phone must have been switching towers.

"Shit."

"Besides, what makes you think he'll talk to you anyway? I mean, you didn't have the nerve to talk to him back in the day. What makes you think you can do it now?"

"Well, maybe I don't have to talk to him. I just need to see him. Be around him. Watch him for a while, you know, like I did in high school," I said and laughed, feeling the familiar warmth I felt for Theo back then returning to me.