Chapter 18

Lincoln

Work was a pain in my arse since Wendy was relocated. I can't believe she would betray me like this. I know they say to beware of a woman scorned, but holy hell. She's been scheming with my mother, passing on business information to someone who doesn't work at this company. My mother has no say here, and she was clearly trying to change that.

Preliminary findings don't look good, and it upsets me that several years of comradeship has led us here. To a well of betrayal that I just can't see around. I'm finding it hard to work with my new assistant as I'm set in my ways. Wendy was with me for years. Years! You can't just find someone who can step in and be up to speed immediately. My phone rings with my assistant's line.

"Good morning, Mr Townsend. You have an emergency board meeting in thirty minutes. I have rearranged your appointments to make this work."

"Thank you, Donovan."

"No problem, sir. Good day."

Donovan hung up, and I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration. This is the last thing I need right now. At least Donovan seems a little more up to speed today. Before I know it, I'm making my way to the conference room that the board meets in. There's already coffee set out at everyone's seat, as well as baked goods set out on platters along the length of the table.

I take my usual seat and drink some coffee. Of course, it's my exact order, as expected. The board discusses the preliminary findings regarding Wendy and the possible ramifications for the company. Every employee signs an airtight non-disclosure agreement that outlives termination or cease of employment. Hopefully, we won't have to take legal action.

Discussion circles back to my upcoming wedding and the changeover in positions once I come back from my honeymoon. This excites me greatly. Everything I've worked for is almost within my grasp. It's ridiculous that I needed to be married to show stability in my own company. I've worked my arse off every day to prove myself capable and worthy.

Once the board meeting finishes, I meet with my next appointment, and the one after that, and the one after that. The day drags by, and I can't wait to get home to my wife. She has sent me messages throughout the day that have comforted me greatly. Having a partner in life has certainly given me a new way to combat the stress of my work life.

When I walk into my home, Steph is by the door waiting. I walk into her open arms, and she hugs me tight. I squeeze her back and place a kiss on her sweet lips. I deepen it and groan as my body lights up like a firework. Her kisses breathe life back into my tired body. Today has certainly been a day.

Steph pulls away, takes my hand, and leads me to the table where she has dinner set out. She grabs me a beer from the fridge and a water for herself and sits down at the table with me. She asks about my day and I tell her everything. It feels good to share the negative things with someone without the fear of being made to feel weak. I love sharing the good and bad things with my wife. My best friend, first and foremost. Steph clears up the plates, and I thank her for the delicious meal.

"What do you need from me, Linc?"

"You. Just you."

"Alright. Let's go shower then, baby. Come on."

I follow Steph into our bedroom and into our bathroom. Steph takes off her clothes quickly and then proceeds to remove mine. I let her take care of me however she wants. Either way, I've never felt more loved than I do as she takes care of me. She starts the shower, feeling the temperature until she's happy, and leads me underneath the spray. She soaps up the loofah and washes me gently.

"Steph..." I groan. She smiles at me and kisses each pec. I can feel her love through her gentle touch and soft kisses. She continues to wash me until all of the suds are gone. I reach for the loofah to repay the favour. I wash her gorgeous body, marvelling at the love I see shining from her eyes. "How did I get so lucky to be the man who gets to have you like this?"