𝟎𝟎𝟑

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑
𝐁𝐢𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐡𝐚𝐦, 𝐒𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡

Adeline walked down Watery Lane after her shift and saw what looked like a large fire at the end of the road. A crowd had gathered around it. She frowned and decided to walk closer.

"Excuse me," she said to a small boy, "what's going on?" She asked him. The small boy looked up at her, a peaky cap on his head. "We're burning pictures of the king." He said innocently. "My brothers are paying people for their picture." He added.

Adeline frowned but nodded. "Why are they burning pictures of the king?" She asked.

"Because we don't think that our king would want to be seeing the vile behaviour of the coppers. Breaking into our homes and disturbing our women." A voice spoke, placing his hands on the shoulders of the small boy.

Adeline looked over her shoulder and once again, it was Thomas. "We went through hell for our king. We are lighting fires to raise the alarm." He said. Tommy kept his eyes on Adeline whilst she stared into the fire. "You seem to be everywhere. You aren't following me are you?" Tommy joked.

Adeline snapped her head toward him. "No, no of course not!" She quickly defended. Maybe too quickly. Tommy let out a breathy laugh and patted the boy on the back. "Run along, Finn. Go make sure Arthur isn't causing too much trouble." He said.

Finn walked off happily and Tommy stood in his place. "Why would I ever follow a man like you?" She asked. Tommy raised his eyebrows. "A man like me?" He asked. "What is a man like me?"

"A man who carries blades in his caps. A man who asks for a full bottle of rum." She said, smirking slightly at her last comment. Tommy chuckled and took out a cigarette to light it.

"Can I smoke?" He asked. Adeline nodded slowly. "I didn't think you'd ask anybody permission to smoke."

"Well. I'm a man of respect." Tommy said, lighting his cigarette. Adeline almost laughed loudly at that comment but she chose not to. "I best get going." She finally said.

"Let me walk you." Tommy offered. "Can't have a girl as pretty as you walking the streets of Small Heath alone in the dark. Never know what could happen." Tommy said. Adeline shook her head. "No— don't let me interrupt your night."

"It's no bother." He said, placing a hand on her lower back and leading her away from the crowd. She didn't argue because she knew he'd walk her home anyway.

There was a slight tension as they walked alongside each other. Her ginger curls lay against her back, blowing slightly in the breeze.

"What brought you here to Birmingham?" He finally spoke. Adeline tried to think of something quickly but couldn't. "For work." She said bluntly.

Tommy threw his cigarette to the floor, standing on it. "You didn't just come here for work though, did you?" He asked. Her heart pounded as she began thinking about if he'd realised what was going on. "Well," she began, "I didn't have a good home life. I needed to get out." She lied. Although it wasn't much of a lie.

"Ah," he hummed. "You seem the type to have grown up with quite the privileges." He said.

"Do I?" She raised her eyebrows. Tommy shrugged. "You were at the King's party." He said. "So were you." Adeline argued.

"Because I fought in the war. Why were you there?" He was trying to catch her out but she wouldn't allow it. "I'm the daughter of a Lord and Lady. They couldn't attend so I went in their place." She lied.

"A Lord and Lady, eh? A Lord and fucking Lady. And who—"

"This is mine." She quickly cut him off, stopping outside her house. "I'd invite you in but i'm still trying to make it feel like home." Adeline excused.