𝟎𝟎𝟖

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖
𝐋𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐧

Adeline stepped out of the car and looked up at the one place she didn't necessarily want to be back at. Everything flooded back to her and she clenched her hands into fists.

"Thank you," she nodded to her driver and lifted her dress as she walked toward the big doors which were already open, ready for her. "Your grace," the guards greeted her. She flashed them a quick smile and continued walking.

"Princess Adeline. What a pleasure it is to see you again," Maxwell appeared from nowhere. A genuine smile made its way to her lips and she stopped for a moment. "Have I missed much whilst being away?" Adeline asked as the pair began walking alongside each other.

Maxwell thought for a few moments before shaking his head. "The palace seems quiet without you." He explained.

Adeline chuckled slightly and found herself stopping at the doors to where her father would be eating dinner. Placing her hands on the door handles, she pushed them open and watched as heads turned toward her.

"Adeline," Anne stood to her feet. James on the other hand remained seated. "Come sit," Anne instructed, holding her hand out toward a chair opposite her. Adeline kept her eyes on James whilst she walked to the chair. "I believe there is reasoning behind your return?" James asked.

Anne looked at her husband awkwardly but finally took her seat.

Adeline nodded simply. "Reasoning I do not wish to share." She shrugged. James didn't care to argue with his daughter so didn't press any further about the matter.

Of course Adeline wasn't going to explain to her father that she had just had sex with the so-called enemy the night previous. She didn't plan on sharing any minor detail that could link herself and Tommy together in an intimate way. She'd rather be away from him than risk the consequences that came with it.

"However, I do want updates on that agent that is still in Small Heath. Grace Burgess, I want to know her every move." She demanded. "Otherwise i'll warn Thomas Shelby myself about what is going on and you'll never get to the bottom of this."

"You wouldn't." James tested.

"Oh, I would." She raised her eyebrows. "Now— I'll let you enjoy your dinner in peace. I'm sure there's things I can do now i'm back home." She gave them a sarcastic smile and exited the room, Maxwell trailing behind her again.

"How are the horses?" She asked, genuinely interested in her Black Stallion. Maxwell cleared his throat. "River is certainly missing being out on the fields as often as you'd take him." He explained.

"Is that so?" She grinned, stopping for a moment. "Well, if River could understand what you were saying, I'd tell you to go and tell him i'm back and he's about to go riding out on the fields again like we used to. But because he's a horse— just go and get somebody to prepare him for me will you?"

-

Tommy sat in the snug of the Garrison with a glass of whiskey in hand. He stared at the liquid intently, thinking hard. "Is there something on your mind?" Grace asked whilst wiping down the counter.

"Nothing that is the business of a barmaid." He said, not taking his eyes away from the glass.

Grace hummed and wiped her hands. "Men tell all their problems to a barmaid." She shrugged. "Surely it's nothing I haven't heard before." She said, offering him a smile which he didn't take.

He swallowed hard and threw back the liquid, enjoying the quick burning sensation in the back of his throat.

The truth was that Tommy hadn't seen Adeline since he'd left the morning previous. She hadn't been at work or even called in sick. It was like she'd disappeared into thin air. And none of it was sitting right with him.