Six

"How's it going with that tribute girl?" Volumnia Gaul asked Coriolanus as he entered her science laboratory. She was elbows deep in the stomach of a strange looking creature with three limbs, yet managed to maintain eye contact his entire way into the room.

"Yeah, good. I'm working on it," Snow replied without going into detail. He held his satchel tightly to his chest, avoiding her intense invasive stare.

"Ah," Volumnia smiled, cleaning off her red gloves. "So you do see the way she looks at that district 12 boy..."

Snow turned away from her and looked in the viles on the shelves. His face reflected back at him disfigured.

"So what are you doing about it? We both know how unfortunate it is for a tribute to be unwaveringly loyal to another," Volumnia reminded him with her echoing voice.

"why am I here?" Coriolanus asked, trying to change the topic. He didn't like talking about his tribute with the games master. He knew all too well the horrors she was capable of and he didn't wish that upon Whiskey for his wrong choice of words.

"My boy," Volumnia charmed, "I asked you first."

Coriolanus tightened his lips and walked around the shelves to be face to face with the lady. He respect her work and was very aware she was the way to his uprising and success. Snow cleared his throat, "I've got a plan to seperate her affection for the boy."

Volumnia's eyes widened with excitement. "It'll be spectacularly cruel I presume. As long as the entertainment get the people watching."

Snow clenched his jaw, looking at the floor. "She'll be falling for me instead."

A wide smile surfaced on her face, "Oh course you'd think of that solution. Cruelty in its truest form. Emotional manipulation for your own benefit."

"It'll be more convenient for her when that district 12 boy dies," Snow tried to validate his actions. "And then, she'll be more motivated to win the games if she thinks we'll be together afterwards."

"Hush," The games master smiled. "You do not need to explain yourself to me. Strategy is strategy."

Coriolanus let his eyes wander across the room once more. He didn't feel bad about his plan, after all Whiskey had agreed last night to her half. And, although she didn't know all of his plan, she didn't need to. She was nothing more than dead meat waiting to be killed. He actually had a future. There was no way she was ever going to actually win the games, so why shouldn't he look out for himself and his family. If he put on a show, he would be able to win the Plinth Prize. If she fell in love with him, the audience would be rooting for her. That's all that mattered.

"So why'd you bring me in?" Snow finally asked Gaul.

In her red coat covered in blood, she moved over to the huge barrel of colourful snakes, moving in captivity. Meat slid off her clothes and pooled on the floor as she moved.

"I wanted to show you something I'd been working on," she seethed, unlocking the lid.

Snow spine froze, hearing the hissing of snakes fill the room.

"Wonderful sound isn't it?" Gaul smirked. "I've been working on these human eating snakes for a while now and I think it's about time to drop them into the arena with this years lot. What do you think?"

Snow's piercing eyes followed her, unsure of his correct response in this situation. "What would be the point of that?" He finally conjured up.

"Oh, for entertainment of course!" She grinned madly. "Maybe you're less suited than I assumed, Coriolanus. If you want to one day be the games master, you must understand this."

"Games master?" He questioned, keeping his ambition close to his chest.

"Why did you think I brought you here? To watch? Now what were you saying about the snakes? I think it'd be madly exiting, don't you?" She laughed, pulling against her latex gloves.

Snow's hands clasped each other at the idea of his tribute being showered down on my snakes. Nobody would survive that. "I just assume, as every other year, that the tributes will die so quickly that it'd be a waste to throw snakes in to." He pointed out, trying to negotiate his way out.

Gaul grumbled and stepped back a fraction defeated. "You're right. I cannot waste these babies on nothing."

Snow's hands made their way into the pockets of his red capital jacket, feeling a tang of relief. He needed that money from the prize and for that to happen, Whiskey needed to be close to winning. Or at least entertaining. Snakes was too quick and gruesome.

"Anyway, Coriolanus. I've considered some of your ideas for the games," Gaul suddenly brought up. Snow looked hopeful for the first time. "I think it's a good idea the tributes get interviewed. It'd be more connection for the audience. Like picking their favourite to win."

"So you'll allow it?" He asked.

"Yes. Some of your ideas were actually worthy of consideration. Congratulations Coriolanus. You may just win that plinth prize," Gaul said, with her back turned.

Snow smirked and ran his fingers through his blonde icy hair. He had to inform his cousin.