Chapter 2

IVY

Present day...

"Are you even going to miss me?"

I wasn't surprised by my boyfriend, Blaine Wyatt's sudden clingy and ridiculous question. He had been pacing relentlessly around my dorm room while I sat cross-legged on the floor, packing the remainder of my socks into my luggage.

I stood up and kissed the cute dimple on his cheek. "Of course, I am going to miss you."

He took a deep breath and ran his thumb slowly along my cheek, saying, "I am going to miss the hell out of you." Then he sat on the edge of my bed and tugged my arm to follow him.

"I know..." My eyes glistened with unshed tears, but I held them back. Blaine didn't need to see how much his leaving for the summer was affecting me. I didn't want to give him any excuses. Blaine was selected to travel to Paris, France, to study the ins and outs of international business. His research could even be published. It was a fantastic opportunity. It was practically my dream, and he was chosen to live it. He was the worst kind of genius: one that didn't try.

"I hate that we'll be in completely different time zones. Your mornings will be my evenings. How will I ever fall asleep without hearing your voice on the other end of the line?"

His dark and desperate eyes glazed over. Even in his state of peril, he still looked amazing. His lean body, copper-toned hair, and big grey eyes made my heart flutter in my chest.

"You'll be fine," I assured him and climbed over his lap, straddling him. I ran my fingers through his wispy hair and planted him with another quick kiss, but this time on his forehead.

His hands found my hips, and he dropped his head on my shoulder, "The only person I'll know on this research project is Professor Yurick. Tell me, Ivy, do you think I am doing the right thing?"

"Are you kidding me?" I laughed and cupped my hands around his beautifully sweet face. I lifted his head and forced his desperate gaze into my eyes, "Blaine, do not be ridiculous. You were the only student from the University of Montana chosen for this project; all expenses paid. You earned this. Don't worry about me. I will be back home in Moose Creek waiting for you. And once you're done in France, we will drive back to Missoula for our Junior year together."

"I know." Blaine moaned and ran his hands up along my sides. His hands stopped at my shoulders, and he squeezed them gently in his fingers, "I just wish you could come with me."

"Me too," I said, playfully pulling on his protruding lip. He needed to cheer up. I would've given anything to be chosen for a research project, all expenses paid.

"You may be small enough to fit into my luggage," Blaine said so close to my ear that he even gave it a tiny nibble before he pulled away. My heart fluttered around in my chest at his whisper. I contemplated his unrealistic suggestion for a moment, although part of me couldn't help but think his leaving might do us some good. My mother was always quick to say, "Distance makes the heart grow fonder."

Blaine and I had been together since my Senior year of high school. Growing up, we were always just friends. When he asked me out, I turned him down for fear of ruining our friendship. He didn't give up, though. A week's worth of roses, coupled with great persistence, had him eventually winning my heart the summer before college. The transition from being "just friends" to suddenly making out in the back seat of his truck was a little weird, but I was glad I took a chance on Blaine. I quickly realized he was the good Wyatt brother. He may not have been as tall, handsome, wild, or confident as his older brother Rhys, but he was definitely one hundred times sweeter, and he treated me like a princess.