Chapter 3

Y/n POV

After meeting the team and becoming close with all the girls, practices had started and soon enough we were almost done with our first season. We played in-conference teams and out of conference teams, but one team we had yet to face was the #8 ranked Uconn huskies. I was excited to see Aaliyah and play her but then remembered who also committed there. The one and only Paige Bueckers. Their team had really good players like Aubrey Griffin, Christyn Williams, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, and Evina Westbrook. I knew they were good players too, so I was prepared to have to step up in the game.

See, this wasn't just any game, this was the big east championship. Both teams had battled their way to get to this game so it being my first ever college championship meant I wasn't going to go down easy. Since we were hosting, I went down to the court a couple hours early to take some warm up shots. Yes we would also warm up later but I needed to let my mind drift off so I could just shoot and lock in for this game.

We just finished warm ups and went back to the locker room to get a little pregame speech from our coach. Right after he was finished I felt the urge to encourage my team even more.

"Okay guys we know this is a good team right?" I ask

"Yeah" They all respond.

"So you know what that means?" I ask again.

"What does it mean?" and some other varied responses were asked in return.

"It means we need to kick some ass and show up!" I yell.

"We need to out rebound them! Block some shots! Get some steals! And most of all win the damn game!" I start yelling and then the girls start getting hyped up, yelling and jumping around the room.

We heard the announcer get ready to bring us out the tunnel. So once he announces to us we run out of the tunnel very energetic and the crowd returns it, cheering and making the arena erupt in yelling and clapping. The announcer announced the starting 5 for both teams and I made my way onto the court along with Anaya, Jorie Allen, Sonya Morris, and Kendall Holmes. I dap Aaliyah up before returning to my spot along the court as we get ready to do jump ball.

I hear a loud whistle and the game has begun. Aaliyah won the tip and Paige started to bring the ball up the court. Since she was only an inch taller than me, we were paired up to guard each other in man to man defense. I notice she isn't protecting the ball that well so I try to pick the ball from her but she crosses over and stares me dead in the eye.

It is so on.