Chapter 28

"How come? This is a great opportunity," Louise crosses her arms. "Don't tell me this Genevieve is also among your many suitors."

"I can't tell if you're being serious or not."

"I'm being very serious."

"No."

"Then why is it not an option?"

"I can't just leave the magazine."

"I don't think we're following the same logic here, why can't you just leave the magazine? Sure, we'd be doomed without you, but so what?"

"I have responsibilities that I can't leave behind just because Caleb can't take no for an answer," I groan, sinking into my seat. "Especially for that reason, Why must I feel like I'm running away?"

"I hoped it was because you'd miss us."

"I also can't leave because you're all too useless when I'm not around, you'd all get fired in a month."

"Probably true," she mutters. "So the problem here is that you don't want to feel like you're running away, but that doesn't explain why you didn't take the offer before the fact."

"Obviously because I legitimately like this company, I've been working here since I was your age... I've grown my carer here, and I was hoping I could continue growing it here."

"That's cute," she nods her head. "Extremely, to the point that it kind of sounds out of character, to be honest."

"You don't believe it?"

"Just admit you'd miss us."

"Sure."

"I think you should consider it."

"Do you want to get rid of me that badly?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Absolutely, I went through all this trouble just to try to rid of you ten minutes after, seems about right," she says in the same joking manner.

"Meet me at my apartment later today?"

"I was going to show up anyway," she smirks, a bad attempt at hiding the excitement behind her eyes.

"Go back to your desk, Louise," I say in an embarrassingly soft tone, giving it away that I'm probably looking at her with the same gleam.

She stands up, slowly making her way behind my desk, hovering over me. "Yes, boss," she says before leaning down for a deep kiss that left me in a haze for several minutes after she left my office.

The effect this girl has on me is beyond anything I've ever experienced. And I can't tell if she's that good or if my past relationships just weren't that great... In bed, I mean. I have no idea what a relationship with Louise would be like, one of the many reasons why I'm so cautious about... this whole thing, honestly.

That, and the logistics behind dating a 21-year-old who has yet to develop her frontal lobe fully. Many people can argue that maturity doesn't come with age, sometimes true, but mostly not. And I'd say Louise is in the not zone, if her daily routine of watching morning cartoons while eating breakfast is of any indication.

"So, for how long have you too been in the I love you stage?" Joane says out of nowhere as the elevator doors close. "I didn't mean to eavesdrop, I did knock, like 5 times."

And some adults never really fully develop it either.

"Did you, now?"

"Quite hard, actually."

"But no, we're not."

"Oh, so she says it but you don't say it back, is that your kind of dynamic?"

"It's not that," I groan.