Thank you and Author's Note

Firstly, thank you so much for sticking with Calla and Owen's story

Firstly, thank you so much for sticking with Calla and Owen's story. This has taken a really long time to write and been a tough story to tell and I know I haven't always been the most consistent of authors! I appreciate everyone who has read, voted and commented on this story, it means so much and always helps me to keep going.

I've learnt a lot from writing this story. It's giving me a lot more confidence in writing more freely, I've always been a strict plotter and this is the first story I've written mostly by the seat of my pants. And I've enjoyed every step of it. For years, I had this idea in my head and dozens of incomplete outlines that I could never quite finish. I reached a point where I realised I just needed to take a leap, use the basic plot points I had and let the story and characters take me to where it needed to go. So I did.

This story is still a first draft, like most of my stories on Wattpad and as always I like to know the areas you think I could improve and should focus on. Below are a few things I have in mind to look at during the edit -

Additional Research

One of the downsides of 'pantsing' it's difficult to prepare in terms of research. Having never written a crime-focused story before there was a lot about the procedure I didn't know and still don't know. Whilst I did research as much as I could whilst trying to write a chapter weekly I think there are probably areas that could be strengthened.

Calla's heart condition, again whilst I also researched a great deal, is one I would like to look into further. It was such an important part of the story and had such an impact on the forming of Calla that I would like to work on this more.

Pacing

Would love all your opinions on this! I think the first half of 'Dark Hearts' needs to be made shorter and brisker. I love the flashbacks, and think they add something to the story but I do worry they lower the tension. However, every time I finish a book I say I need to sort the pacing and every time it's the one area everyone else thinks works just fine so I'm not sure I can be trusted!

Time Period

Wild thought... I think Dark Hearts should have been set in the late nineties or early noughties. What do we think?

The above are just my thoughts! I would love to hear what you think I should be focusing on in the edit! All comments are welcome! And the biggest question of all... does Dark Hearts need a sequel?!