Lianne

"I don't know anything, Lianne, truly I don't!"

Lianne raised her hand. "I don't believe you."

The young maid flinched and raised her hands in defense. "All I know is the Royal Physician was called! That's it!"

"What for?" She narrowed her eyes.

"I don't know, I'm not a physician and I just saw her pass by. Lianne, I swear it, I don't know anything else but that!"

Lianne huffed and said, "Go. I'll speak with you later."

The maid hurried away as soon as she could, making a soft sound of fear as she passed. Lianne filed the information she had gleaned away in her thoughts. She had been, through either her own eyes or the eyes of others, watching the ebony doors of the Queen's Suite like a hawk. What she noticed was most telling was the lack of the Queen's valet.

That stick in the mud was probably making love to her cuckolded wife by now. The Queen was hardly ever without her ever watchful valet, so Lianne would have to use this time wisely. She didn't know when the annoying presence would return.

Her mistress would not be forgiving if she failed at bringing back at least a sip of something useful. Lianne knew the Royal Physician was notoriously private and that it was not for the regular folk of the world to know the inner workings of the monarch's health, but she could always spread a rumor or two. What if the Queen was hurt? What if the Girl caused it? She smiled cruelly. That was one avenue.

Lianne decided to go and visit other members of staff who had traveled with the Queen abroad. She could gift a coin or two for a nugget of information. No one was above bribery in some form or fashion. At least, this was Lianne's philosophy.

Helping her mistress win back the Queen would help herself. She would rise as high as she would. There was no limit to how high she could go, especially if her mistress was generous. She could have the Mistress of the Household's job, a position she coveted.

She hurried forth to bribe someone. She would work hard to overthrow that awful tyrant Mistress. One way or the other. And her mistress would be back in her rightful place.

Lianne would make certain of it.