Chapter Twelve

Cindy and Emma cleared away the dishes and put the leftovers away in the fridge. Emma nibbled her lip as she eyed the mug still sitting on the counter. She really did need to work toward getting it cleaned and put away. But the idea of the actual action was still way too painful to bear, so it was safe to say that nope, still not ready to let it go.

"Don't worry about it Em," Cindy said softly, staring in the same direction. She hugged Emma's shoulders. "It can rot into the formica if you want it to. It's not going anywhere until you move it. Promise," she finished as she patted her shoulder and returned to wiping down the countertops.

Emma nodded and crossed to the table, and wiped down the already clean surface. She still couldn't believe that her mother had shown up here and behaved the way she had.

Of course it shouldn't really surprise her considering who Carol was. Or at least according to what little she could recall about her mother. Emma really didn't remember very much about her, other than the abuse. That was crystal clear to her mind. And one specific time stood out more than others. Maybe it was because it was that last day they'd been together. Meaning it was the last time her mother had hurt her. Emma had no doubt that was why it was so clear in her mind.

Carol had been upset because her boyfriend hadn't wanted to date a woman who had a kid, and Carol had offered to make Emma disappear. At the time Emma had had a very serious fear of the dark. But to be fair nearly everyone had that similar fear at six, so she'd fought tooth and nail when Carol had started to push her into the closet.

Much like this evening, when her desires are thwarted her true face emerges. The monster appeared and began to punch and kick until Emma curled into herself to try and keep the blows from hurting her tummy, taking a particularly hard punch to her face. The blow had bloodied her nose, while it also blacked her eye. Apparently she had been crying loudly enough the neighbor heard and made the call to her grandparents. That neighbor had probably saved her life. 

Everyone knew that time seemed to cease to exist in the darkness, so she didn't know how long she remained locked in her private hell where cockroaches and other bugs crawled on her. Emma just recalled rocking softly and humming a nursery rhyme song over and over to calm herself. This had been her go to escape as a child.

Then at some point she remembered seeing the light suddenly fill the space and there her Gramps had stood looking down at her like a superhero. He'd clicked his tongue and lifted her up into his arms and murmured that he was taking her home.

        Carol had been gone, and Emma hadn't seen her since.

Until tonight.

God, how was she supposed to deal with planning a funeral for Gramps all while worrying that Carol could show up and cause trouble? Her Gramps deserved to have a nice peaceful memorial where no one had to deal with his wayward, long lost child making the entire thing about how she felt he, not to mention the whole world, had wronged her.

Emma sighed heavily and nibbled on her thumb nail. Was it really so wrong that Emma wanted to be able to say goodbye without having to worry about her mother making a scene? Even if it was she refused to feel badly because she wanted to mourn the last of her family in peace.

"Deep thoughts over there?"

"Oh geez you scared me!" Emma jumped slightly at the sound of Cody's deep voice so close to her side. She smiled at him trying to calm her racing heart. "Yeah, seems like that's all I have these days."

"Sorry about spooking you." He patted her shoulder with a smile. "I know it seems like everything is overwhelming right now," Cody nodded, giving her the grin that made the butterflies in her tummy take flight. "Don't worry, it'll pass."