04: A Promise

The neighborhood soon became lively, but Wang Jun couldn't care less towards their trivial bickerings.

By the time Wang Jun had arrived at the door with two Bai Ning's bodyguards, the apartment that he paid monthly with blood and sweat had been ransacked like a crashed plane by three burly shark loans. They were Qin Chen and his goons.

Rage built up in his head, blood boiled and made his chest heaved up and down. Right at that time, Wang Jun snatched the bodyguard's handgun in a flash.

He walked inside his house with very light steps, his instinct to kill Qin Chen stealthy from behind made everything around him move in slow motion.

Slap!

"Where's your son, old hag! It's time to pay your husband's debt!" Qin Chen slapped the woman, right on her head.

"I don't know, I swear! Huhuhu,"

Wang Jun's mother cried aloud, screeching like a crazed animal when being harrassed by Qin Chen.

On the other hand, his father has been wasted, barely alive was the nicest thing to describe his sorry state.

Wang Jun had enough of this life, especially Qin Chen and the shark loans who had messed up his life into a good for nothing!

He hit the back of Qin Chen's head very hard with the base of the magazine and made Qin Chen stumble forward with a loud thud noise.

Click! Click!

No more second thoughts, Wang Jun cocked the gun and shot Qin Chen twice on the head and once on the heart.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Wang Jun showed no remorse, his eyes filled with excitement along with his grinning face. Six more shots fired, two other shark loans had the same gunshot wounds. Their blood was everywhere in the room, like a perfect horror scene.

Bai Ning's bodyguards, meanwhile, remain silent for the whole time per their boss's order to let Wang Jun unleash his rage.

Wang Jun kept pulling the trigger even though the gun had no bullets left and he only stopped when his mother grabbed his hand tightly.

"I am sorry, mama. But I have to do this."

"Y-you killed these men in our home! Where will we live after this!?"

"Don't worry about that. I got us covered. Come... before the cops arrive."

Wang Jun ushered his terrified mom into the car, his mother seated beside Bai Ning on the back row seat, meanwhile, Wang Jun seated beside the driver.

Bai Ning, on the other hand, was busy making phone calls after what happened that morning. Presumably the Private Room Service.

"Room service? Yes, for one man in this address. And also, I would like to order a 'Full Course' for his colleagues. Every, One, Of, Them."

After that, she got a call from her other subordinate who is in charge to bridge the connection with this underground society.

"The Triad which Qin Chen and his goons worked for, asking for compensation."

Wang Jun could hear the conversation faintly from the front seat.

"Ahem... how much? Two hundred grand? Alright, no problem, send them the money."

"That's quite expensive." Wang Jun remarked.

"Thanks to someone who used my man's gun to shoot a Triad. Luckily, they are just the 49ers. Some crooks. So the 'Dragon Head' only asks for compensation money."

Wang Xiyin, on the other hand, was still in shock, her hands shivering and her gaze was blank due to the trauma. It was actually a miracle that she's still conscious after that mess.

"I am sorry." Wang Jun said.

"No need. We both know that it would end like this. This is who you truly are, Master Wang Jun."

"I guess you are right. The only person that keeps me in check is my mother. Without her, I might have ended up as a teen criminal five years ago. Though I already became one right now."

Bai Ning leaned forward to speak in his ear. "You are not a criminal, Master Wang Jun. The law of this world deemed you as one. However, Virtual Insanity shall offer the absolute freedom for the strong and capable humans."

"Absolute freedom? It was just a game, right?"

"If it was just a mere childish game, why did my company offer bountiful compensation in the first place?"

Wang Jun admitted that his logic was flawed, perhaps due to the previous adrenaline rush. But Wang Jun noticed something amiss: 'Bai Ning must be hiding the truth.'

***

A few days later, Wang Jun's mother had been administered to the Bai Ning's company Medical Institution somewhere in Great Beijing City.

The facility itself was also somewhat hidden from the general public eyes, or perhaps the Government itself. Situated at the underground level of the city, amidst the jungle of skyscraper buildings, no one would ever have thought that such a high tech and far advanced medical facility truly existed right under their noses.

This made Wang Jun wonder how Bai Ning obtained the money from. Who's her parent anyway, how could a young lady like Bai Ning have the power that could deter the Triad from not pursuing Wang Jun's murder case any longer and just paying two hundred grand?

Offending Triad members was akin to a crime itself and two hundred grand was so cheap

Everything about her is veiled with grayish smoke, Wang Jun knows her existence but he can't perceive her at all. Someone who sits above the clouds indeed.

Arriving at Wang Xiyin's room, Wang Jun bid his farewell to his mother.

"Mama, you'll be safe here, and you don't have to worry about that drunkard anymore. I am sorry, but I can't tell you the details of my job. I hope you understand." Wang Jun said, holding his mother's hand.

The tears beading on her lower eyelid, although Wang Jun had not tell her what is his new job and how he got acquainted with someone so powerful, Wang Xiyin's only hope was her son's good fortune albeit he had paved his way as someone who shall walk in dark path, so she could enjoy living in the bright side.

"Jun'er... Whatever your job is, whether it is killing people or hurting other people to attain your goal, don't forget to stay true to yourself. Your heart shall not wavered."

"I know... Thank you, mama, for everything. I promise I'll be back very soon."