The Game

"Hello Ma" Almora said immediately her mother picked the call. "Aapane apana fon kahaan rakha tha? Mainne tumhen kal 10 baar fon kiya( Where did you keep your phone? I called you up to 10 times yesterday)" her mother said annoyed. "Mujhe maaf kar do maan main so gaya( I'm sorry Ma. I slept off)" she replied. "But you never sleep so early" her mother said.

"I have a game today Ma so I had to sleep early".

"Sorry dear I didn't know"

"It's okay Ma. What of Dad?"

"He is ..." her mother said and paused. Noticing the pause Almora said "still in Vanver I guess". "Yes my love. All the best for today's game" her mother said awkwardly. Noticing the awkwardness in her mother's voice, Almora decided to end the call by saying "Thank you Ma. I've got to go Ma. Bye". "Bye love"her mother replied and the call ended.

The three of them quickly ran to their changing room to get dressed. After getting dressed, they went to the field. "Team captains" Ms Ashley called out.

Almora and the captain of the team they were playing against also went. "I hope you know the number one rule of this game".

"Never use magic" Both captains said together. "Good, now go and get ready" she said and they went back to their respective teams. "Why did she call you guys?" Amy asked. "You know just for normal orientation" Almora said. The audience seats were almost filled up. "Little captain" Lucian said. "Hey, don't call me that" she said smiling. "Are you nervous?" he asked. "Yh, a little" she said and Lucian gave her a look. "Okay fine, I'm a lot nervous. This is my first time being captain of a team" she said letting out a deep sigh. "It's okay you'll do fine. You are my little Mora" Lucian said patting her head. Almora hugged him which shocked him for a while but he reciprocated it back. "Thanks I really needed that" she said as she broke from the hug. "Go and Win Mora" he said and left with Brian and Oliver.

Melanie's eyes were glaring daggers at Almora after the interaction between her and Lucian. Almora called out the names of those that will play and Stacy's name was among them but Amy's name wasn't. Amy asked "why isn't my name there?". "Your name isn't there because it is not time for you to play yet and even I, the captain isn't playing" Almora said and this got Amy annoyed. Amy turned and left to sit down on the bench.

Almora let out a deep sigh and faced the team and said "Remember we don't win to defeat them, we win to become winners" and then the whistle was blown and the six players went to the field. The name of the team Almora's team was up against was R.B.T.

Almora went to sit down on the bench beside the other three players that she kept as substitute. "Go Scarlett" she said clapping. The game continued and Almora's team was leading but Amy still didn't say a thing to Almora which was making her feel bad. Finally, the first half of the game was over. Almora stood up to go and attend to the team and when she tried to talk to Stacy she turned her head sideways which made Almora uncomfortable. "Okay team you're doing really well out there" she said and continued "just because we are leading doesn't mean you should lose focus. Okay? You have to keep winning".

After 5 minutes, the whistle was blown for the second half and the team changed sides. They kept on playing tossing the ball to each other and then finally the game was over and the winner was Team Scarlett which was also Almora's team. Everyone cheered for them. Lucian walked up to her and said "See I told you you'll win". Almora gave him a faint smile and said "Thanks".

Lucian noticed it and said "What's with the sad face?". Almora let out a frustrated sigh and said "It's Amy and Stacy. They are both annoyed that I didn't put Amy's name in the team". "Why didn't you?" he asked.

"Are you also doubting my decision?" Almora asked raising a brow. "No, No, No" Lucian said shaking his head "I'm just asking". "I'm sorry I reacted like that. It's just that those I kept on the bench are my best feet which I'm keeping. Even I didn't play and they aren't even ready to listen to me" she said frustrated. "Ohhhhhhh don't worry. They will come around" he said cheering her up. "Okay" Almora said releasing air out of her puffed mouth. "I'll wait for them but I need some time alone" she said and left without waiting for Lucian to reply.

Almora sat down on a bench at the basketball field as it was empty. Someone came to sit beside her which she ignored. "Do you want to sit alone or I should stay?" the person asked.