✧˚[ 5 - FAIRYTALE JAIL ]˚✧

It took another hour. A whole damn hour of sitting in a small room cluttered with junk and cleaning equipment. If it wasn't punishment enough missing Sebastian and the rest of the Avengers, this oversized bald French bulldog by the rather unsuitably endearing name Patrice kept a close watch on her. What did she look like, some sort of dangerous bloodthirsty criminal?

Nika had nothing against him. Any attempt of escape would be futile. Well, she might try to outsmart him and let her five foot six sneak through his long, well-trained legs. However, by the time she reached the door, he would have caught up with her again.

For a while, she passed the time with some doodles and ideas about the death of an unpopular Frenchman, perhaps using it for one of her stories. After another ten minutes, the Marvel officials finally announced her release and she was allowed to leave.

Snarky Patrice escorted her to a less busy, undecorated entrance at the back of the hotel before shoving her belongings into her hands.

"Merci", Nika sweetly replied, whereupon Patrice gave a displeased grumble and left her standing there.

Still holding the notebook in one hand, she checked the contents of her bag and let out a sigh of relief. Everything was in place, including the badges. Hastily, she pulled out her phone to let the others know to be back in time for the meet & greet and headed for the exit with quick steps, focused on her phone.

In the corner of her eye, a shadow suddenly appeared on the floor. It should have warned her of the impending collision to give her time to react. But it was already too late. Half the bag spilled across the polished stone floor.

With a curt but sincere "Sorry", Nika hurried to pick everything up, muttering in her native tongue.

"So ein Mist. Jetzt aber schnell." [Oh crap. Quick now.]

"Germany?" a male voice asked.

Without even looking up, Nika merely nodded, not wanting to keep the others waiting any longer.

"Iche kann ein bisschen verstehe" [I understand a bit], the unknown collision companion explained with an audible accent, kneeling down next to her and continuing in English. "But not enough to keep a German conversation. Here."

Nika gratefully took the water bottle, which he picked up. One by one, the chewing gum, two pens, the pack of tissues and one of the badges found their way back into her bag.The second she reached for the small notebook, it hit her like a blow and she froze in her motion.

Her eyes fixed on the dark blue cover with the white motivational lettering on top. The lettering was the reason why she bought it. Suddenly, the back of a big, bold hand concealed it. Gold flashed.

"That should be it. Sorry, got a bit lost in thoughts."

The deep, familiar voice came across like turbulent spray breaking on the soft beach of the Baltic Sea. It spilled over from nowhere and washed over her senses. To the point that she couldn't move. Until a moment ago, the notebook lay in front of her. Then, like magic, it melted into thin air, no longer visible. Not even the shiny floor beneath it. Her hand, still hovering over the same spot, mingled with everything her eyes caught.

After a few seconds, as in a daze, she looked towards where the voice came from. Her eyelids twitched, by reflex. Everything else was numb. Her mind felt like it hit a wall together with her body a second ago and was trapped in a vacuum. Impossible to grasp the mixed bits of information.

"Are you okay?" the man asked again with concern, scrutinizing her carefully.

As another incredulous German curse escaped Nika's open mouth, he recognized from her hesitant behavior what became clear to her at that instant: who it was she was facing.