✧˚[ 12 - SPRING FEVER ]˚✧

Queens, New York

It reeked of spring. Rain cleared the smog-filled air, something Sebastian loved about this city. All it took was one hearty downpour and it beamed like a newborn - although it couldn't wash away the loud honking and palpable stress of business people, delivery men and cabs.

Nevertheless, the everyday noise on this early afternoon didn't dampen his good mood one bit. He looked forward to finally see Nika once again and to show her his favorite places. Places he didn't visit himself for what felt like an eternity because of his busy timetable. 

Her accommodation, very close to Hunters Point, seemed just a stone's throw away. Pink decorated trees cast a few shadows on the sidewalk. A quick glance at his phone and at the gray brick facade assured this was the right street.

A fresh gust of wind blew around the block. Sebastian tugged his black beanie into place, put his phone back in his pocket and held the door for an elderly resident with a smile. He found No. 4 on the second floor and knocked.

Nothing. After several seconds, he knocked again and looked at his watch.

Hmm. Five past two. Am I to early?

"Just a sec", Nikas voice sounded from behind the metal door, followed by a short clatter and an indistinct curse. Then it swung open.

"Did I kick you outta bed?"

"No. Um, no, not really. I dozed off on the couch." Nika scratched her forehead. A little distracted, her hand landed on the side of her thigh and thereafter gestured through the air. "Come in. I'll get ready real quick."

"Anything wrong?" Skeptically Sebastian took off his beanie and stuffed it into the jacket while Nika slammed the door.

"Huh? No, no. Everything's fine."

"Wait a minute." 

Without a second thought, he took a single step forward so that she couldn't rush off. Tilting the head to the side for a little longer, he got a better look at her face, which she kept lowered to the ground.

"Is it just me", he raised his head again with slightly narrowed eyes, "or did you cry?"

"Me? Crying?" Nika looked up now, only to avoid him immediately with a far too convincing grin. "Nah. I didn't cry. That's, um, because I'm tired. Probably kinda delayed jet leg."

Tired, my ass, Sebastian thought at the sight of her reddened and visibly swollen eyes, placing his hands onto the hips under his unzipped jacket.

"Speak up. I know something's not right. No offense, but you are a terrible actress. And an even worse liar. A blind with a cane could see you're not okay."

Nika still refused. She plucked at the sleeves of her teal cardigan and bit her outer lower lip. The longer he watched her, the less he liked it. He knew Nika only as a sunshine, disappearing behind dark clouds from time to time, but always able to shove them away with a good dose of cynicism.

"Hey." Sebastian lovingly lifted her trembling chin between thumb and indexfinger. "What's goin' on, huh? No matter what it's about, we'll find a solution. Soul friend and that stuff. Remember?"

For endless seconds, Nika just stared at him. And suddenly he could see her expression change. Tears filled her eyes anew. 

With a compassionate "Woah, woah, woah. It's all right" Sebastian finally pulled her into his arms. Tenderly he stroked her spine, caressed the back of her head with his fingers and simply held her close. The way she clung to him, burying her face into his chest, literally smashed him. The unspeakable sobs only now made him aware how he had never seen her like this before, so devastated.