Chapter 10

I don't know how long we're surfing for, but I do know that the sun begins to fade and the early night begins to draw in. Me and Ben walk out of the sea and my eyes fall on those starting a bonfire towards the centre of the beach "Isn't the tide going to come in?" I ask him as takes my surfboard off me.

He shakes his head "Not to all the way back there"
I carry on looking at the group who are working together with more joining in.

"Another bonfire?" I ask him as we walk up to the beach shack.

He chuckles "We're wolves, we love them" My old pack were wolves, they didn't love them this much. "We've been asked to join if you want" He says.

I frown "You've been asked?"

He taps his head "The beauty of mind link"

I laugh "Is it really a beauty?"

He shrugs, putting the surfboards down "Sometimes, other times it's a little overwhelming."

He begins to open the door to the shack. "Was it strange to get used to at first?" I ask.

He shrugs like it's no big deal. "At first it was a little confusing but I knew what I was in for so that made it easier"

I couldn't imagine everything just changing on my 16th birthday, the thought made me anxious. It's hard enough being a witch with responsibility back in our world, never mind turning 16 and suddenly being looked up to and having the whole responsibility of a pack on my shoulders.

"I've really enjoyed today" I say, smiling "So thank you"

He smiles back "It's nice to see you having fun, I thought you'd be fighting it forever"

I laugh "You and me both"

I go back into my room and change back into my clothes, showering first and drying my hair with a towel. As I walk back into the main room, Ben is holding a mug out to me "Hear, have a hot drink to warm up"

I take it from him, feeling the heat underneath my hands. "It must be nice to never get cold" I say, blowing on the hot coco.

His smile is wry "It's okay, it's all I've ever known."

"Well I know cold and trust me, you don't want that."

He laughs and we share a glance. The atmosphere is electric between us, like everything is pulling me towards him. I've never felt this kind of pull towards someone, obviously because the mate bond is stronger but it's taking me by surprise every single day.

Once the bond with Will never came, I never expected to be anyone else's mate and I sure as hell didn't expect for him to be an Alpha. There's so much that I'm learning about Ben, so much that I wish I already knew before we got off on the wrong foot. I saw Ben as a dominant, arrogant Alpha who just wanted to mate with me for power, and trust me when I say that the power we both give to the pack would make us probably the most powerful pack to exist.

It makes me question whether our power should exist, it's unfair, makes us different to other packs and that's when we need to wonder if we'd be allies of people or whether they'd go against us through fear. I hope it gains us friends, people who we can trust but if I've learnt anything through my fathers passing it's that you can't trust anyone.

"Shall we go out and join the bonfire?" He asks, holding my coat out for me.

I nod, placing my cup down so that I can put it on. It's time that I got to know more members of this pack because I now class it as my family, my home. I can hear Maya outside, laughing amongst other people like Nick, Ellis and Olly.