~Chapter Eleven: Fletchlings~ Sin's P.O.V.

After the feast, I went back to my dorm. I open the door and see nothing but a bunk bed, an old, dusty rug, and a dresser full of uniforms. I attempt to take a step into the dorm. Ren swings down from the doorframe, hanging from her ankles. “RAAAAAAA!!” My body tenses up, and I make a sharp inhale. She laughs as her tie flips and hits her in the face.
“Jesus, Ren! Are you crazy?!” I yell, as she continues to laugh. Their ankles go weak, and they fall to the floor, hitting their head and shoulders on the hardwood.
“Well, I was never sane.” She grinned, and I rolled my eyes. I then maneuver around her and sit on the bottom bunk of the bed. She got up off the floor, and sat next to me.
“Look… I’m sorry for what I said earlier… I didn’t mean any of it. And I’m thankful that you stand up for me…”
“You’re still on about that? I forgive you. I know you didn’t mean any of it.”
We sit in silence for a few moments, before they start speaking again. “Hug it out?...” I nod, and they hold out their arms. I let my body relax, and I fall into them. They pat me on the back gently.
After we hugged, we got into our beds, and attempted to get the rest that we would need for the big day ahead of us; the plan’s initiation. “Ren? Are you asleep?” I ask, thinking of the big night ahead. They groan, and I hear them turn over.
“No, I’m practicing being dead.” They mumble, and I roll my eyes.
“You get to go out with the headmaster and help with the mission tomorrow. Are you excited?” I ask, eager to hear what it’s like being in their situation. They shush me, and roll over again. Eventually, I fall into a deep, dreamless sleep.
Soft threads danced across my face, and I was pulled into consciousness. “Hey, wake up sleepyhead!” A voice calls out to me, and I open my eyes. Black hair is draped across my face, and I could see Ren’s glowing golden eyes through her hair. “Get ready for breakfast.” They then rolled me out of bed, and I hit the floor. I grunt, and debate staying there the rest of the night, but eventually I get up and head downstairs.
I enter the dining hall, and sit next to Ren, who had already gotten both of us a trey of flesh and blood. The scent filled my nostrils. It was pig. The closest thing we have to humans. “Tonight is a big night!” The Headmaster shouts. “Soon we will no longer be eating scraps of runaway farm animals… I will lead this crypt to riches and power! No matter the cost!” Everyone cheered, and I finished eating.
“You gotta tell me what it’s like being on one of the big missions when you get back.” I exclaim to Ren. They nod, and mock me with their hands.
“Yeah, yeah, sure. I’m just hoping that there will be some cute ones while I work. Just don’t get too jealous when I’m gone, okay?” They grin, and wink at me. I scoff, and they ruffle my hair.
“Alright then. All red ties except for Sin report to the front gate.” The Headmaster shouts through the dining hall. Everyone laughs and looks at me, smirking with pity across their faces. My eyes narrow, and I sigh, flustered that he outed me again in front of the other crypt members.
Ren joined the red ties in a line. Before they left, Ren looked back at me, blew a kiss, and took flight. I am in charge of making sure none of the little fletchlings misbehave or get hurt until the crypt gets back from their trip.
The two blue ribbons that harassed me grab my hands and pull me up. “Let’s play a game!” They giggle, and I watch as the rest of the fletchlings gather around. “Everyone! Let’s play hide and seek!”
“No, I don’t like playing Hide and Seek. You guys don’t play nice. Especially you, Lucy and Annabelle.” A young boy pouts, with big eyes and a small frown. The two girls gasp, and look offended.
“Whatever, you’re just a crybaby, Onyx!” Lucy huffs, and stomps her foot.
“Hey, let's all calm down here. Who wants to be the one that finds everyone?” I say, stepping in the middle of the two. They all go silent and stare at me as if I was an idiot. I looked down, and even Onyx was staring at me with that look that says, “Are you really that stupid?...” My eyes narrow, and I sigh. “Fine…. I’ll count.”
I cover my eyes, and begin counting. I hear little feet scatter out through the building. “One… Two…. Three!…. Ready or not, here I come!” I shout, as there is only dead silence as a response. And so, my hunt begins.