Restless

Clarisia

As arrogant as he was, I had to admit that Damien was doing a good job.
You could already tell that he would become a competent leader of the Pack.
His wolf bent low towards Brian's dark figure, his lips pulled back and his deadly teeth bared.
"Well done", praised Arnie, our trainer, with a nod. "Both."
The light wolf slowly took a step back and Brian got to his feet. He shook his dark fur, leaving a cloud of dust in the air.

"Next we'll practice on the wall." Arnie pointed to the wooden wall, where countless claws had left deep marks in the boards.
I hung my tongue and panted excitedly. Catching the prey was one of my favorite exercises.
Arnie pulled up a cloth bag on a rope and nodded at me. "Cass, you can start."
With my tail raised, I strutted past my comrades and got into position.

"And go!"
The call shot through my body like an electric shock. I rushed forward, pushed myself off with my hind legs and sprinted up the wall.
My teeth sank firmly into the prey and I swung through the air.
With a deep growl, I remained in the void, my jaw tightly closed around the bag. Arnie slowly let me down.

"Very well done." He nodded approvingly. "A little higher this time."
After I did three more jumps, he waved to Damien. "Next."
"Can I do another one?", I asked the trainer, hot adrenaline rushing through my veins. "Even higher."
"You can", he agreed. "Cass takes another jump."
He pulled the prey up a little more and I ducked, ready to attack.

At that moment, Damien stood in my path.
"Step aside", I snapped. "This is my jump."
"You already had four", he replied coldly and made no move to let me through. "It's my turn."
"Arnie said I could take another jump!", I growled.
"Get lost", Damien replied briskly.
"When is your birthday again?", I snapped, even though I knew he would reach maturity tomorrow. "It's time for you to imprint, you're even a bigger ass than usual."

With a loud growl, Damien's large figure lunged at me.
"I'm your Alpha!", his voice screamed in my head. "Respect, Rollins!"
I was just able to avoid his bared teeth.
"You're the young Alpha!", I replied defiantly.
"Hey, hey!", Arnie shouted, but Damien jumped forward again and this time he caught my neck.
His teeth sank painfully into my flesh and I yelped.

"You don't understand that I have responsibilities!", he roared. "For my Pack and also for you! If you disobey me, you can endanger the pack members!"
Damien started shaking me. I desperately grabbed his shoulder, but my teeth only caught his thick, light fur.
Out of the corner of my eye I could see Arnie running towards us. "Stop it!"

"If you weren't such a good fighter, I would keep you at home for the next patrol as punishment!" Damien growled angrily.
"Let her go, Damien", Arnie said calmly.
The grip on my neck loosened and I quickly took a few steps back. "I hate you!"
"Just do what I tell you", he growled, turning his back on me and preparing for his first jump.

With my head bowed, I joined Brian and Jessy, who had been watching the scene with wide eyes. The bite stung my neck.
"Am I bleeding?", I asked Jessy directly.
She slightly shook her head.

As soon as practice was over, I rushed over to our trainer.
"What was that about, Arnie?", I hissed. "Why didn't you give him a warning?"
Arnie shrugged. "Tomorrow is his birthday. He's driven, Cass."
"And?" I glared at my trainer angrily. "You said I could take another jump!"
"I'm sorry, Cass", he said with a sigh. "You can do one more the next time, okay?"

"That's not the point!", I replied, louder than I intended. "Damien totally overreacted!"
"Yeah, I know", he answered calmly. "But..." He hesitated and fell silent.
I frowned angrily. "But what!"
To my surprise, Arnie began to smile. "Listen, Cass, I know you two don't get along very well."

"That's an understatement!", I said between clenched teeth.
Arnie leaned forward, a funny glint in his eyes. "But he is your Alpha, wheter you like it or not, you have to obey him."
I stared at his face for a second. With a stifled yelp, I spun around and left the training field, Arnie's amused laughter ringing in my ears.

Damien

My skin tingled as if thousands of ants were scurrying around on it.
The distance between the cold and hot shivers shortened.
Fucking imprint. Fucking Alpha blood that made me feel my maturity ten times more intensely.
In anger I pressed the button.

"You're dead", Jayce turned to me with a big grin.
I threw the console on the table and ran my hands over my tense face. "Let's play again."
"Sure", said Brian.
He patted me on the shoulder and I squirmed under the touch.
"Don' touch me", I muttered quietly.
Brian frowned and pressed the button, starting the video game again.

Judging by the compassion in his eyes, he remembered his own imprinting.
I fished the console over and started playing. Suddenly her smell was in the air and I could barely suppress an irritated snort. I was just missing the biggest pain in the ass.
I could hear Ann's voice rambling about makeup.

"Go take a shower, Cass", I said coolly, without taking my eyes off the screen. "You stink."
The boys grinned and Cass' bright laughter died down. She came into my field of vision and looked down, unsettled. "I just took a shower."
I wrinkled my nose. "Right, you always smell strong."
I raised my eyes to see hear reaction. At first her expression seemed hurt, but only for a split second. A hint of anger crossed her face and her cheeks turned red.

Satisfied, I went back to playing the game. Cass sat down on the couch next to Ann, their quiet voices reaching my ears as if from far away.
A soft ding in the kitchen made me lisen up.
"Popcorn is ready." Since I could hardly sit still anyway, I paced through the living room into the kitchen.
"You're dead again!", Jayce yelled and laughed loudly.
I raised my hand above my head and gave him the middle finger.

I took the popcorn out of the oven, poured it into a bowl and walked over to the fridge.
I opened the door, cold air rushed towards me and I closed my eyes for a second.
And there it was again, her scent.
With a case of beer in my hand, I turned around in annoyance. "You still stink, Rollins."

She was leaning against the counter, next to the bowl of popcorn, looking kind of caught. I narrowed my eyes suspiciously and looked down at the bowl. But Cass ignored my popcorn, she opened the cupboard above her head and slowly reached for a glass.
Without looking at her again, I took the bowl, walked back into the living room and collapsed into the crumpled armchair with a groan.

"You're terrible at this game", Jayce said cheekily, but I just rolled my eyes.
I reached into the bowl and stuffed a whole handful of popcorn into my mouth.
"Ew!" I immediately spit out the popcorn, the small, white flakes whizzed through the air and spread across the carpet.
Jayce looked puzzled. "Yo, mate, what's wrong with you!"
"That tastes awful!", I managed to say and quickly took a sip of beer.
Brian reached for the bowl, his brow furrowed. He carefully stuck out his tongue and tasted it.
"Baking powder", was his verdict. He grimaced in disgust.

A deep rumble sounded in my chest. "Rollins!"
I jumped up from my chair and could just see her escaping up the stairs with a big smirk on her face.
I could barely stop myself from going after her and making her pay for her cheekiness. But I didn't want to give her that satisfaction.