10. 10 Things I Hate About You

10 Things I Hate About You is a 1999 American teen romantic comedy film directed by Gil Junger in his film directorial debut and starring Julia Stiles, Heath Ledger, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Larisa Oleynik. Released on March 31, 1999, The film has since developed a cult following and is considered a classic in the teen film genre. [Source: Wikipedia]

*****

FFAEK: Emily could act out the opening scene from memory.

*****

Chapter Ten: 10 Things I Hate About You

“Were you talking about me?” someone said behind me, and I looked back. Nathan was leaning down by my side to talk straight into my ear. I covered it with my hand and gave him a look. He sat down on his stool, smirking.

“Who?” I said and glanced at Erika’s station. She wasn't looking my way.

“You and your friends,” Nathan said, “I could practically hear you.”

“Don't think too much of yourself, Callahan. We were definitely not talking about you.”

Nathan rolled his eyes, “Sure, that's why all of you keep looking my way.”

“They were telling me what a teen rebel you are,” I said, “Such a delinquent.”

Nathan smirked. He liked hearing that, “Ah yes, my gang isn’t doing well these days. I need to stock up on some drugs…”

That made me laugh, “You sound like a dork.”

“That is exactly how I put up a front, Kingsley.”

“Posing like a baker, making cookies while slipping drugs in them? That's your front, right?”

Nathan smiled, “As if I'd ever tell you.”

I looked away, shaking my head.

The class started, and we stayed silent like good students this time. Or so I thought.

“You alright today, huh,” Nathan whispered a bit later.

“What do you mean?” I whispered back.

“Your friends finally managed to cheer you up,” he continued, “You’d been down lately.”

I glanced at him while taking notes.

“I thought maybe I had laughed too hard at you. Simon was a jerk. And those comments were stupid.” He said, “This is why I stay far away from these people. They’ve got nothing in their brains.”

I would hate to admit I was down, so I tried to change the subject, “Sweet of you to worry about me, Callahan.”

“You wish, Kingsley.”

The class dragged on and on. I yawned. I sighed. And I took more notes. I wasn't going to ask Nathan for his notes again. This week, I’d have my own.

Finally, it was time to distribute the test papers. I waited patiently for mine. I felt a kick, so I glanced at him. He was leaning on his palm, looking my way like I was a show waiting to happen.

I looked away, received our sheets when Wong came by, gave him his one, and checked mine.

It took me a few seconds to register it. But it was there.

It was a very beautiful, absolutely perfect A.

I squealed a little under my breath. When I looked at Nathan, he had already raised his palm for a high five.