Deepest Descent (by Glenn Riley)

The darkness was oppressive, even with the submarine's lights on full beam

The darkness was oppressive, even with the submarine's lights on full beam. Mike peered out into the blackness, wondering what could be out there. The pressure gauge read over 1,100 atmospheres - deeper than any human had ventured before. When the earthquake had struck in the Mariana Trench, it had opened up a sinkhole even further into the Earth's crust. Being the only crew member small enough to fit inside the submersible, Mike had drawn the short straw to descend and search for the cause.

So far, so normal, he thought. Just rock and sediment on the seafloor almost 7 miles down. He was grateful not to have spotted any movement - no fish or other sea creatures could survive the intense pressure or lack of light. As he piloted the sub slowly through a narrow canyon that had appeared after the quake, Mike felt a prickle on the back of his neck, as if he was being watched.

"That’s ridiculous," he muttered aloud. "I’m completely alone down here."

Still, as the submarine's lights illuminated the canyon walls, Mike couldn't help imagining shapes and figures lurking in every crevice and hole. Tricks of the light, he told himself firmly.

Then a loud metallic clang reverberated through the tiny submersible, seeming to come from right beside him. Mike jerked in shock, hitting switches on the console. The lights flickered as he held his breath in the sudden darkness. Had something out there actually collided with the exterior? But what could withstand this pressure to even exist? Heart pounding, Mike flipped the switches to reboot the electrical system.

The beams came back on, revealing sediment swirling as if recently displaced. Mike scanned the walls and openings with rising panic. A hallucination brought on by anxiety and isolation - it had to be. Still, he found himself longing for any sign of fish or living creatures in this dead zone. Even a giant sea monster would be preferable to imagining something worse...

When the sound came again, Mike froze. A distinct, slow scraping along the length of the sub that vibrated through his bones. This was no metal contracting due to pressure changes. Swallowing hard, Mike activated the exterior cameras, hands slick with nervous sweat.

The displays lit up with various angles showing the submersible - all clear except for clouds of sediment. Mike slowly panned each view until halting in disbelief. There, in the rear camera view, were two glowing eyes reflecting back. They hovered behind the submersible, round and uniform in size. As Mike watched, they blinked slowly in unison before disappearing back into blackness.

"What the hell?!" Mike yelled, panic rising. "This is impossible!" He glanced around wildly as if a monster could tear into the hull at any moment. Grabbing the controls, he turned the sub to shine all lights behind him. But only empty darkness filled the screens.

Mike ran a trembling hand over his face. Seeing things now. He tried to calm his racing heart, reviewing possible rational explanations. Some undiscovered species of bioluminescent fish at this depth, never before recorded. Or even some marine creature rising from deeper in the trench, drawn by vibrations. Neither should be able to attack the submersible.