Chapter: 6

Evelyn trudged home from university, the weight of the day's events heavy on her shoulders. As she entered her room,she takes off the varsity jacket the guy had given her and quickly changes . she slumped onto her bed, her top wrapping around her frame and her long, loose sweatpants pooling around her ankles . She looks up, staring up at the ceiling as she replayed the day's events in her mind. Thoughts of lectures, encounters, and unfinished assignments presenting themselves in her head, but her mind kept returning to the enigmatic guy she had met earlier.

His piercing amber eyes and the slight scar that ran down his hand lingered in her thoughts. With a sigh, she turned over to the other side of the bed, closing her eyes in an attempt to clear her mind.

Later that evening, Evelyn was roused from her nap by a gentle tug on her blanket. It was her sister, reminding her that dinner was ready. Blinking sleepily, Evelyn struggled to open her eyes, pulling herself up and heading downstairs.

As she settled into her dining chair, Evelyn glanced around the table, noticing the absence of her mother. "Where's Mum? Isn't she coming home today?" she asked, taking a sip of water.

Her father hesitated for a moment before responding, "She's at work."

Confusion flickered across Evelyn's face. "But she doesn't work today, I'm sure of it," she insisted.

Her father paused, setting down the newspaper he had been reading. "She's taken on another job," he explained.

Evelyn raised her eyebrows in surprise. It had been a year since her father's company had faced financial ruin, leaving him jobless. Since then, her mother had been the sole breadwinner of the family, and the news of her taking on another job left Evelyn feeling frustrated.

As the silence stretched between them, her sister turned on the TV, tuning into a news station. The broadcaster's words about missing girls and neighborhood thugs filled the room, the recent events that were being reported sent a chill down Evelyn's spine adding to Evelyn's unease.

"Wow, honestly, I can't believe they're allowing gangsters to roam across these streets," her sister remarked, her voice tinged with disbelief. "They still haven't found the missing girls."

Evelyn's stomach churned at the mention of the missing girls, a sense of dread settling over her. She listened intently as the broadcaster detailed the ongoing investigation and the growing concerns that the disappearances could be linked to neighborhood thugs.With a sigh, she excused herself and retreated to her room.

Opening her small cabinet, she retrieved an envelope containing most of her recent job savings. Sitting on her bed, she clenched her fingers around the envelope, contemplating their living situation. Determined to help her family, she had taken on a job at a nearby retail shop, but seeing her mother shouldering the burden of their finances weighed heavily on her.

Putting the envelope back, Evelyn lay back on her bed, thoughts swirling in her mind until sleep claimed her, offering temporary relief from the worries and uncertainties her world was holding.