2| Ahalya

Lord Brahma has asked me to be returned. Finally, my stay in Gautama Rishi's ashram comes to an end.

I am happy, yes, but I try to hide it. I smile and clap when alone, sing to the chirping birds and play with the rabbits.

"Ahalya, it's time for us to go."

I shiver at his voice. It's deep as the mountains, rooted in dominance. I find his gaze roving over me. Instinctively I clutch the uttariya closer to my chest. "I am ready."

We climb on the chariot and it sets off. Today is going to my last in this prison. I will be free, a woman who can live as she wants and roam wherever she likes. When I see the gates to Lord Brahma's loka, I can't help but chant a prayer loud enough for Gautama to hear.

The guards welcome us with reverence, showering on us marigold petals and washing our feet with milk. My father blesses them with a stoic face. Then, we are brought to Lord Brahma's audience.

"I am pleased by your service, Gautama," he declares in his booming voice. "You have inculcated in this maiden spiritual values."

"My duty ends here, and I hand her back to you, Lord Brahma."

"Yes. She is in the prime of her youth.  Although to be evergreen is her fate, there's a certain charm to this age, and I believe she is suitable for marriage."

I so wish for him to now ask if I have anyone in my mind. Because I do, and I would love to be with that man.

"I have chosen a man for her."

My heart shatters. Lord Brahma is choosing for me? I want to protest, but that would be seen as audacious. No one would want to throw away his words.

"It's you, Gautama. I am impressed by your self-control. You have conquered your five senses. Like a responsible father, you have reared her as your child, but you two aren't related. As a gift for your virtuous conduct, I present to you Ahalya– the most gorgeous woman of the universe."

Gautama has no sign of surprise in his face. "Thank you, Lord Brahma. I shall be a good husband to her."

Lord Brahma closes his eyes and dives into meditation. I stand with tears streaming down relentlessly and quivering lips, feelings choking me to death that shall never come to this immortal.

Gautama grabs my waist, this time with full right that I cannot deny. His fingers dig into my flesh with unbearable heat. I bite my lips and suppress a cry.

I so wish to be rescued.