The Escape Plan Unfolds

Chapter-06
The Escape Plan Unfolds

"So, what's this plan of yours to escape?" I inquire, eager to learn more.

"Well, it's like this. There's a place called Blackwood Forest. Even these bandits are afraid to go there," the old man begins, keeping Saikō in his lap as he explains.

"Wait, if it's that dangerous, why are we going there?" I interject, concern evident in my voice.

"No, esteemed one, there's a country touching the Blackwood Forest. We will pretend to go into the forest to lose their sight," the old man clarifies, his voice filled with determination.

"Before that, aren't you forgetting that we have to get out of here first?" I remind him, emphasizing the urgency of our situation.

"..."

"..."

"Well, we can fight them with your godly powers. I know they don't stand a—" the old man begins to suggest, trying to gloss over the oversight.

"I haven't awakened my powers yet, and besides, I'm only three weeks old. How can an adult depend on an infant?" I counter, feeling a sense of frustration creeping in.

"But you are above these things called age," the old man persists, attempting to convince me otherwise.

"Y-You're right, haha. But tell me, how are we going to get out of this cell first?" I press, refocusing on the immediate task at hand.

"I've got the key to this cell," the old man reveals, holding up the key for Saikō to see.

"Right, you've got the key," I acknowledge, momentarily forgetting the significance of his statement.

"..."

"WHAT? You have the key?" I exclaim, realizing the gravity of the situation.

Old man displays the key to Saikō.

"Then why the hell are you still hanging out in this cell?" I demand, unable to comprehend the old man's logic.

"Well, I did steal the key to get out of this cell, but then I thought that I am old. Then I overheard the bandits discussing that they are going to kidnap someone, so I thought I would wait. But now you are here," the old man explains, his voice tinged with regret.

'I can't trust this old man. The last thing I want is him using me as a meat shield,' I think to myself, eyeing him suspiciously.

"Well, what if they chase us down?" I inquire, my concern growing.

"No worries, my lord. I've got just the core for this job," the old man reassures me, his confidence unwavering.

"Okay then, do your thing," I concede, mustering up some enthusiasm.

The old man opens the cell lock with his key and holds Saikō in his arms as they make their way towards the exit. However, they soon catch the attention of a guard.

"Hey, what's the old slave doing here?" the guard demands loudly, his voice echoing through the corridor.

I feel a surge of panic coursing through me. "Old man, do something!" I urge him, desperation evident in my tone.

"Don't worry, esteemed one. I'll take care of him," the old man assures me confidently.

"Nighty night... sleep," the old man murmurs, using his core to lull the guard into a deep slumber.

"So, you did have a plan, you son of a gun, worrying me like that," I compliment him, a sense of relief washing over me.

"Of course, my lord," the old man replies, his expression one of satisfaction at being praised.

As both Saikō and the old man make their way out of the stronghold, making guards along the way fall asleep, a sense of freedom begins to wash over me.

"Freedom—" I begin to say, but my words are cut short as I spot the right-hand man of the bandit running towards us.

"Old man, use your core again!" I instruct, my fear momentarily forgotten in the face of imminent danger.

The old man starts running without using his core on the bandit, prompting my confusion.

"What's the matter? Make him asleep!" I demand, my voice filled with urgency.

"Esteemed one, there's a problem. I can only use my power five times in a day," the old man explains, his tone apologetic.

"WHAT? But wait, you only used it four times today," I protest, trying to make sense of the situation.

"I have sleep problems, so I sometimes use it on myself," the old man admits, his embarrassment evident.