21

UNDER THE AUTUMN SKY

〰・♡・〰

Iñigo was engrossed in conversation with his father, a flicker of forgiveness replacing the earlier resentment in his eyes. A warmth spread through Keera, not just from the promise of a reconciled family, but from the unspoken connection simmering between them.

David, sensing her gaze, nudged her playfully. "So," he whispered with a knowing grin, "anything you want to tell our friend here?"

Keera swatted his arm playfully, her cheeks burning. "There's nothing to tell," she mumbled, but her voice lacked conviction.

"Really?" David persisted, his eyebrows raised. "Because the way you're looking at him, anyone would think you hung the moon and stars."

Keera glared at him, but a smile tugged at the corner of her lips. She couldn't deny the truth of his words. The months apart had only intensified her feelings for Iñigo. His courage, and his passion for environmentalism, all made him even more attractive.

"Alright, alright," David chuckled, sensing her surrender. "But if you two don't make a move soon, I'm going to have to stage a romantic intervention."

Keera rolled her eyes, but a seed of determination was planted. Maybe David was right. Maybe it was time to take a chance.

As Mr. Lee and Iñigo finished their conversation, Keera cleared her throat, gathering her courage. "Iñigo," she said, her voice surprisingly steady. "There's something I wanted to talk to you about."

Iñigo turned to her, a curious glint in his eyes. "Sure, Keera. What is it?"

Keera took a deep breath. "These past few months... they've been crazy, challenging, but also amazing. Being by your side, fighting for what's right... it made me realize something."

She paused, her heart pounding in her chest. Iñigo's gaze held hers, his expression unreadable.

"I realized," she continued, her voice barely a whisper, "that I... I really care about you. More than just a friend."

Silence filled the cafe, thick with anticipation. Keera felt the weight of everyone's attention, Maya and David included, their faces etched with a mix of curiosity and encouragement.

Finally, a smile broke across Iñigo's face. It was a slow, genuine smile that warmed Keera from the inside out. "Keera," he began, his voice low and warm, "I care about you too. A lot."

He hesitated for a moment, then continued, "Being away from you made me realize how much you mean to me. You're brave, smart, and passionate. You inspire me to be a better person."

A blush crept up Keera's cheeks. Was this really happening? Were they finally on the same page?

"So," Iñigo said, his eyes twinkling with mischief, "does this mean we're... more than just friends now?"

Keera grinned. "I think it does," she replied, the weight of unspoken feelings lifted from her chest.

David let out a whoop of joy, breaking the tension. Maya clapped her hands together, her eyes sparkling with delight.

"Finally!" David exclaimed, throwing his arms around both of them in a celebratory hug.

"Took you long enough," Maya chimed in, wiping a happy tear from her eye.

As the cafe erupted in laughter and congratulations, Keera and Iñigo pulled back from the hug, their eyes locked. The world seemed to blur around them, the only thing that mattered was the spark of connection that crackled between them.

"So," Iñigo whispered, leaning closer, "what do you say we celebrate properly? Maybe a walk in the park, just the two of us?"

Keera's heart soared.

"I'd like that very much," she said, her voice filled with a promise of adventures to come.

Autumn leaves crunched under their feet as Keera and Iñigo strolled through the park. The crisp air held a tang of woodsmoke and fallen leaves, the setting sun casting long shadows across the golden landscape.

The past few hours had been a whirlwind of emotions – relief, joy, and the dawning realization that their friendship had blossomed into something more. Now, walking side-by-side, a comfortable silence settled between them, punctuated only by the occasional rustle of leaves or the distant squawk of a crow.

"It's still strange to think back to where it all started," Iñigo finally remarked, his voice laced with wonder. "Sneaking out onto the roof, sharing secrets under the stars..."

Keera smiled, her gaze flitting across the park. "It wasn't exactly the most conventional way to meet," she admitted, "but it definitely had an impact."

"An impact," Iñigo echoed, his gaze meeting hers. "The kind that changes everything."

Their eyes locked, a silent conversation passing between them. The unspoken question hung in the air – what did this new development mean for their future?

"So," Keera began, breaking the silence, "what now? You're back, but you still have things to learn up north. And the fight against LeeCorp isn't over."

Iñigo squeezed her hand reassuringly. "Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere permanently. Maya agreed to let me work remotely on some of my projects. And as for LeeCorp," he added, a glint of determination in his eyes, "we're not giving up until they take responsibility for their actions."

Keera felt a surge of admiration. The ordeal hadn't broken him; it had made him stronger, more determined. "That's the spirit! We'll keep the pressure on, together."

They walked on for a while longer, the setting sun painting the sky in hues of orange and purple. Finally, they reached a secluded clearing, a small, rustic bench nestled beneath a towering oak tree.

"Mind if I sit down for a minute?" Iñigo asked, a hint of fatigue in his voice.

Keera nodded, her concern evident. "The trip back must have been long."

Iñigo sat down, gesturing for her to join him. As she settled beside him, a comfortable silence enveloped them once more.

"There's something else I wanted to tell you," Iñigo confessed, breaking the silence after a moment.

"What is it?" Keera asked, her heart skipping a beat.

He turned towards her, his expression serious. "While I was away, I had a lot of time to think. About everything. About my family, about LeeCorp, and... about you."

He paused, his gaze searching her face. "Keera, you're not just my friend. You're someone I can trust, someone who inspires me. Being away from you made me realize just how much you mean to me."

Keera's cheeks flushed. His words mirrored her own feelings, spoken aloud for the first time.

"I feel the same way," she admitted, her voice barely a whisper.

A smile tugged at the corner of Iñigo's lips. Leaning closer, he murmured, "Then maybe, when this whole LeeCorp thing is settled, maybe we could... well, maybe we could go on a real date. Just the two of us."

His voice held a nervousness that mirrored Keera's own. But the prospect of a date, a chance to explore this connection, sent a thrill through her.

Taking a deep breath, she met his gaze with a smile. "I'd like that very much," she said, her voice filled with confidence.

As dusk settled over the park, and the first stars began to shimmer in the darkening sky, Keera and Iñigo sat side-by-side, their hands intertwined.