Chapter 33

AN: I had this idea months before AoU, but oh well. Thank you to @racefunhorsess for the amazing comments and votes!

Peter rubbed his temples in frustration. He closed his dark eyes tightly in irritation, trying to understand what exactly I was saying. "You're crazy."

I stood my ground. This was something that needed to be done. We had to win this war, no matter what. "I'm going to get close to Loki and kill him. It's final."

"Do you hear what you're saying right now?" He questioned and furrowed his brow. "You aren't going to do that. He'll kill you. You're going up against the Trickster God. If anyone were to kill him, it best be by his brother's hands."

"Peter, I understand you're trying to protect me, but I need to do this." If I could do this one job right, this war wouldn't even happen. It'd be over. The Asgardian soldiers wouldn't listen to Red Skull, leaving him powerless over half of the enemy resistance. I ran my hands through my hair stressfully and paced around my room.

Peter opened his eyes and looked at me in pain. A frown settled on his lips as his voice broke, "You're never going to live up to your dreams? You're going to leave me? Leave Steve? You're going to leave everything behind?"

"Don't do this to me. Don't guilt trip me. Not you, of all people..." I trailed off and bit the inside of my cheek. He was right. I was giving everything up to attack someone I had minimal chances of killing. What more could be done? We talked to the U.S. government. They said this was all our fault and wouldn't risk hundreds of soldiers' lives to protect the city. Whatever they had planned, it didn't sound like it would benefit us at all. "If I'm lucky, I'll come back. I don't know what kind of weapon Loki is going to have and what power it contains."

Peter stood up and walked over to me. He raised his voice a bit and used hand gestures to express his concern while talking, "Lilly...there's a difference between all of us going out in a blaze of glory and a suicide mission."

"This whole thing is a suicide mission! It's us against Loki, Red Skull, Hydra agents, and Asgardian soldiers. What about this isn't a suicide mission?" I yelled in his face. He wasn't grasping the idea of dying for the cause. Thousands of lives were on the line, or even the whole planet's population. Saving them was more important than saving ourselves. That was a hero's job.

"Come on! You can't be serious. There are better ways to go about this."

I dragged my hands down my face in frustration. My chest began to ache with the secret I've been holding in for a long time. He didn't understand. Well, of course he didn't. He didn't know. "Peter, what if I can't have everything I dreamt of when I was little? What if fate just doesn't want that for me?"

His shoulders raised and his muscles flexed. He stretched his arms out and nearly shrugged. "You can have anything you want, Lilly. You just got to go out there and grab it. If you want a family, do it. If you want to retire, do it. But for the love of God, don't purposely try to get killed," he stressed. The pain in his eyes traveled down into his body. He started to shake from mixtures of sadness and anger.

"I'm never going to retire. I can't. My powers will just be wasted. I could help people." If I was going to live for a long time, I was going to do things right. Retiring would drive me insane. It almost drove Logan crazy one time. I didn't want to go through that.

He spit back, "What will your future kids say to that? To you never retiring and always having the constant fear their mother will never walk through the front door again? The fear that the last words they say to you is 'Be safe' instead of 'I love you'. I know how much you wanted to be a mother when you were little..."