Chapter 15

Chapter 15: Inevitable

Tooty stormed out of the house.

Miles called to her from the porch. "Tooty, listen to me! Please!"

She ignored him and kept walking. She could hear his wheelchair rolling down the ramp. She started to run toward the trees, but a thud and a groan brought her up short. She jerked around. The wheelchair had toppled and Miles lay on his back in the dirt. "Miles!" she yelled, and ran back to him.

Going down on her knees, she leaned over him. "Are you okay? Do I need to call 911?"

Pushing up on his elbows, he said, "Shit, Tooty, just move the damn wheelchair next to me and stop treating me like a fucking invalid." He groaned and lay back on the ground. "Why do I even go on?"

Tooty didn't move. She just looked at him and listened to the words of Annabelle's diary. Eli Riles has the sweetest mouth and I never wanted him to stop kissing me.

Slowly, she lowered herself over Miles, everything else forgotten. By God, I'm going to taste his lips at least once in my lifetime.

Miles watched her descending face and read her intent. "No, Tooty. Don't do this."

She didn't care that he sounded like he was begging. She was going to kiss him. Her lips touched his and they both moaned. She didn't have much experience with kissing, but she gave it all she had. He moaned again and lifted his hand to cup the back of her head, angling her mouth over his. He ran his tongue across her lips and she opened them to his invasion. She stroked his shoulders and put her hands beneath his T-shirt. He pulled her tightly against him. His passion gave her courage and she moved her hand lower, stroking him.

"Please, Tooty... Oh, God, that feels good. You feel good. I want you so much."

Without any foreplay she released him and herself of the clothing blocking consummation and impaled herself on him. Hungrily she kissed him and moved in the motion he could not. His hands were everywhere: on her face, neck, shoulders, arms, breasts, back, waist, butt; his kisses consuming.

Kissing him fiercely in an attempt to make him understand her passion for him, she suddenly felt him stiffen and heard his groan of ecstasy. His pleasure sent her into ripples of joy and she followed him into the land of bliss, accepting the fact that she craved Miles and loved him with everything in her.

When she could breathe again she rolled beside him and tucked herself against his side. They lay like that for a long time and he stroked her face and hair. Feeling wonderful, she sat up and looked at the sky. Before God and the heavens, the trees and the birds, she and Miles had joined bodies. From the way he'd kissed and touched her, he had to love her. She smiled at the universe and turned her head to look at him so she could tell him how much she loved him. He wasn't smiling. His eyes were closed and he looked pained. Even as she watched, he opened his eyes and stared deeply into hers.

"That can never happen again. Please bring my chair to me."

"Wh-why can't it happen again?"

"My God, Tooty. What were you thinking?"

"But you enjoyed it, didn't you"

He groaned and closed his eyes. "Of course I enjoyed it. But it can't happen again. You're only twenty years old! You have your life ahead of you. I'm thirty-eight and stuck in this fucking wheelchair."

"I don't care about the wheelchair."

He ran a frustrated hand through his hair. "There's never going to be anything between us." And then he said something that ended any romantic hopes she held. "When I need a woman, I have several in New York. Women much more sophisticated and...skilled."

Tooty covered her mouth with the back of her hand and launched to her feet. She ran into the woods.

* * *

Miles lay on the ground staring at a puffy cloud. He knew his calculated words had sliced through Tooty's heart like a guillotine. That was why he'd said them. She'd forced him into it after he'd seen the stars in her eyes. She refused to understand that he would never saddle her with a cripple. He squeezed his eyes shut, seeing sunspots behind his eyelids. For a moment he allowed himself to relive the joy of being inside Tooty. It was the sweetest thing he had ever felt, and she was the sweetest woman he had ever met, and he was head over heels in love with her. That's why he had to go. She was young and deserved a whole man.

Groaning, he dragged himself to his chair, righted it, and pulled up into it.