Chapter Thirty-five

Chapter-Thirty-five

The trip to the hill where we sled takes longer than usual. Its my fault, since I need to be either carried or pulled on a sled. 

Austin pulls me on a toboggan, smiling. 

"You know, I couldn't think of a better way to spend today than to be with you," he says, hiking up the hill. My brothers and friends are ahead of us, laughing and throwing snowballs at each other. 

"What about your family?" 

"You are my family," he says, making my cheeks blush. 

"That's sweet," I say, smiling. I open my eyes to say something behind Austin catches my eye. Jude gathers snow in his hands, making a snow ball. He smirks and launches it at Austin. "Duck!" 

Austin squints, looking around. "What? Where?" 

The snow ball hits him smack dab in the back of the head. 

I burst in a fit of laugher and Austin curses,, demanding who threw the snow ball. Jude is walking fast up the hill, getting to the top before anyone. He can't hold his laughter in, bending over. 

"You'll pay for that," Austin says as we reach the top. 

"Yeah," Joey say, sticking up for Austin. "That wasn't nice."

Jude narrows his eyes at his littlest brother, scoffing. "You dared me to do it!"

I roll my eyes, ignoring them and look at the view.

Its stunningly beautiful. Snow blankets everything. The hollers from my brothers rip my focus away from the view. Jude and Joey are in a race to the bottom against Quinn. Daniel and Beatrice are laughing on their way down, followed by Logan and Cassie. 

"We'll race you," Andrea challenges, gesturing to herself and Henry. 

"Oh, you're so on," I say, grinning. 

Andrea gets on her sled beside me, sitting down onto it. 

"Are you sure about this Em?" Austin asks, getting onto the back, behind me. I lean into him, laughing. 

"Of course," I say, rolling my eyes. Austin pushes us to the edge of the hill. 

Henry smirks. "Last one down is a rotten egg."

"One, two, three," Austin shouts, my eyes focused on the bottom. "Go!"

The toboggan lurches forward, sending us soaring down with Andrea and Henry close beside us. I laugh until I see the large snow drift at the bottom. 

"We have to swerve," I say, but the wind takes my words. 

Austin says something, but its too late. We hit the drift, flying up into the air before crashing down into the snow. I fall off the sled, implanting into the snow on my back.

There is a collective yell of "Emma's". 

Austin scrambles over and looks down at me.