Chapter Thirty-six

Love is the master key that unlocks the gates of happiness, of hatred, of jealousy, and most easily of all, the gate of fear.

-(Oliver Wendell Holmes, A Moral Antipathy, 1885)

Epilogue

"Hey, Emma! Over here!" I let the door swing shut behind me as I enter The Diner.

Austin, Andrea, Whitney, Aidan, Ben, Seth and Carter all sit in a booth. Austin waves his hands, almost smacking Ben in the face. Austin moves down, so I can sit in the booth beside him. I snuggle into his side and he wraps his arm around me.

"How do you think you did on your final?" Aidan asks me, glancing at Austin. "I know you two studied, but I don't if you studied," he says, wiggling his eye brows.

 I kick my brother's leg under the table, hoping he'll shut up. He winces, thankfully keeping his mouth shut but that doesn't stop the laughing coming from everyone else.

"He's just jealous," Andrea says,laughing. She earns a glare from Aidan. 

Austin turns to me. "Think you passed? I know you worked hard."

"Yeah, I think," I say and smile. "I couldn't have done it without you."

There is a unanimous groan.

"Please, keep your mushy shit for when you're alone," Carter says, sighing. I stick my tongue out at him.

The truth is though, I probably couldn't have done it without Austin's help. I might have failed without his help these last few months. Juggling school, family, and let's not the damage that has been done to my leg, I had a lot going on.

The doctors say there is a chance the feeling in my leg won't come back but I'll survive. 

Austin and I are still a couple, actually nominated for homecoming king and queen.

I have a suspicion though that my brothers and friends persuaded a lot of people to vote us though.

Quinn and I have been getting along. A fight here and there but the usual sister-brother arguments. We've become closer even, which is nice. Tyler is still a sore issue for me, for everyone. The anniversary of his death will be coming up in a few weeks and that will be hard.

Liam Vaughn, the man who almost killed me, had the case reevaluated by a judge who wasn't being bribed by his sister. In the end, he was sentenced to five years in prison and one year probation after that. Though I think his sentenced had been tougher because a few weeks after hitting me, he ran a red light and crashed into another car. Luckily, no one had been hurt. 

Daniel and Beatrice aren't together anymore, but the reason why is a mystery. 

Logan and Cassie have finally admitted their undying love for each other. Actually, they're engaged. They announced it while both of our families were together. Andrea and I basically screamed with joy. I mean, we're sisters now! 

Jude has been focusing on school but I know he and Mara have been on a few dates. 

Aiden, Ben, Henry, Carter, and Austin graduate high school in a few weeks. That's a little sad. Aiden and Ben are moving to Toronto for University. Austin is leaving in September for university and that makes me a little sad. But we have two months together, and its going to be one of the best summers ever.

"Yo! Emma! What do you think? Do you think Mom and Dad will let us host a grad party at the house?" Aidan asks and I burst out laughing.

"No. I don't think so," I say, and shake my head at the ridiculous idea.

"Oh, and why do think that?"

Before I can answer, Austin pipes up.

"We can party at my house. My parents are going out."

Aidan grins. "Then its settled. We party at Austin's."

I hobble down the trails using a cane, letting the suns heat soak into my pours. Eventually, I make it to the edge, looking out over the lake. I haven't been here in a long time, but when I am, I feel closer to Tyler. 

Today is the anniversary of his death.

An entire year has gone by without him.

An entire year and it still feels like yesterday.

I stare out across the lake then close my eyes.

My brothers cheer at the bottom, but I ignore them.

It's time to say goodbye.

I imagine Tyler beside me.

'I dare you to jump.'

I can't. I'm scared.

'What are you scared of? Water?'

No. Of living in pain.

'It's okay. I'll be by your side, forever.'

I am ready to say goodbye to Tyler.

I stand up, still on crutches, placing my toes on the edge, my brothers and friends waiting for me at the bottom. Promising to catch me when I fall.

Without a second thought, I jump.

I jump and do not feel cold water but happiness.

I feel free and relief. I can finally breath without feeling guilty about my brothers death. Tyler and everyone else in may life have taught me one thing: to cherish life. I will live and love to the fullest, cherishing every moment with the people around me because that it the only thing I can do. 

The End